• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

69 RR QUARTER EXT. FITMENT

Cawley

Local time
3:18 PM
Reaction score
I am doing some body work & paint on a 69 roadrunner for a guy. Im installing 2 new full quarters. The are from AMD. Ive installed AMD full quarters on A & B bodies before & never had an issues with them fitting. The ones im installing on this RR fit good except for the quarter end caps. If i align them to the outside of the quarter then they will not line up with the trunk lid. If i line them up to the trunk lid then they stick out past the side of the quarter. Anyone else have this issue ?

Yup! Great fit, huh! It took a combination of grinding off some of the extensions as well as bondo on the quarters to get a satisfactory fit on mine. Still not great. A good metal guy would probably do some slicing and patching.

^^^^^^^^^ this, whatever it takes

IMG_20240101_155902075_HDR.jpg

A couple of lessons I’ve learned … do NOT dip a car, replace ONLY damaged areas - not entire panels.

Do you need a trunk lid ??

It's important on the 68 and 69 B bodies to have the deck lid on and aligned when you final weld the quarters on.
The quarter extensions need to have a nice even gap between them and the deck lid, and the quarter panels need
to be even with the extensions! You have to do whatever it takes to maintain this or after the car is painted, you'll
never forgive yourself! Note, The torsion springs don't need to be on the deck lid. With the quarter cut off, they
may cause some mis-alignment.

After all was said and doneI thought that a) the quarter should be tacked at the drip rail THEN b) it should be pushed UP from the bottom to increase the curvature at the extension. This may have required some slits behind the extension or some shrinking of those lips.

Do those quarters also have some “eyebrows” right above the wheel openings ?!?

This is how I like to put "not so full" quarters on. I don't like messing with the joint in the roof!
20140411_114146.jpg
20140411_144041.jpg
20140507_113317.jpg
20140507_124902.jpg

I have installed dozens of AMD quarter panels. The AMD 69 quarters fit very well. Always fit the quarter extensions, while fitting the quarter, BEFORE welding anything. ALWAYs have the doors and trunk lid on, and aligned before fitting the quarters. If possible, don't even take the doors and trunk lid off to all, before cutting the old quarters off.

The 69 Plymouths had the quarter extensions installed BEFORE paint. This was done for a couple reasons.

The 68 Plymouths were painted with the extensions off, which had a couple issues.
1. There was a risk of poor fitting extensions, which did happen.
2. Extra step in paint process when painting the extensions off.
3. Risk of water leaks, as water could seep in through the gap, which did happen.
4. Risk of chipping edges when installed painted extensions.

So, for 1969 Chrysler chose to install the quarter extensions before painting the car. This was done to alleviate the issues mentioned above.`

1. The extensions were aligned to the quarters while the car was bare metal, so everything could be aligned better.
2. Simpler paint process because they weren't loose. Less risk.
3. The gaps were filled with seam sealer before paint, which helped prevent water leaks, and made the extensions look more integrated.
4. No risk of chipping the paint.

The holes for the extension in the AMD panels are not accurate however, so they will most likely need to be opened up or moved.

Auto Transport Service
Back