• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

6th pass for my competition license at the March Meet

Mike Gaines

Local time
11:19 AM
Reaction score
Full report to come Monday pm. Can't get the time slip to load off my smart phone files. Will load it when I get home
[email protected] with .008 light
Launching off the footbrake at 1500rpm.

FB_IMG_1583259008336.jpg

Sweet!!! You're doing great!

Look up Adam Sorokin while you're there -- he's Mike's son and is an amazing individual.

I don't know why anyone would want a Hemi. You can't keep the front wheels on the ground!

Or maybe it's the way you drive your cars Mike?
232082-02f9f2d71373f1ddc1bd5e9fa6e9f22c.jpg

I don't know why anyone would want a Hemi. You can't keep the front wheels on the ground!

Or maybe it's the way you drive your cars Mike?
View attachment 920258
Just can't help myself...same problem running these dang MOPARS for over 50 years now.
That's a pix of my 63 max wedge lightweight that I bought new in 1963.

63 side shot.jpg

I'll take that R/T all day. The path to the 9.0 and beyond is tough. Especially with a factory style car with no power adder. Stay with it.
Doug

I'll take that R/T all day. The path to the 9.0 and beyond is tough. Especially with a factory style car with no power adder. Stay with it.
Doug
My chassis wasn't set up for transbrake launch. I talked to the rep from Chris Alston (who was at the Match Meet) and he came a checked out my car which does has a Chris Alston backhalf and Alston Varishocks. He said my springs were way to stiff for transbrake launches and that I needed to go about 300lbs lighter. He said not even to try it.
But....when the new springs are installed then I will be launching at 5500rpm (as EVERYONE who have 9.60 and lower et cars says to put that 5500 chip in for transbrake) then I do hope to get into the very, very, very high 8's with 1.26 to 1.28 60' times, which will put me into the 8s. My 60' time launching off the footbrake at only 1500rpm is netting me 1.33 to 1.34 60' times.

My chassis wasn't set up for transbrake launch. I talked to the rep from Chris Alston (who was at the Match Meet) and he came a checked out my car which does has a Chris Alston backhalf and Alston Varishocks. He said my springs were way to stiff for transbrake launches and that I needed to go about 300lbs lighter. He said not even to try it.
But....when the new springs are installed then I will be launching at 5500rpm (as EVERYONE who have 9.60 and lower et cars says to put that 5500 chip in for transbrake) then I do hope to get into the very, very, very high 8's with 1.26 to 1.28 60' times, which will put me into the 8s. My 60' time launching off the footbrake at only 1500rpm is netting me 1.33 to 1.34 60' times.
My rear springs are 115lb/". Foot brake only. On a really good track it's been 1.250 60ft, 5.71 660. Running 1/8 that day. For comparison, hot Summer/cool spring. I'm still chasing an 8 second time slip
Doug
20180916_122946.jpg
20180614_072009.jpg

Last edited:
My rear springs are 115lb/". Foot brake only. On a really good track it's been 1.250 60ft, 5.71 660. Running 1/8 that day. For comparison, hot Summer/cool spring. I'm still chasing an 8 second time slip
DougView attachment 920571 View attachment 920572
Doug, Thanks. Those time slips are really good information for me. I was figuring if I could get a great 60' of 1.27 that it would produce an 8 second slip....not so for sure...I guess.
The only thing I might have going for me is my motor may be making a little more horsepower than yours. Mine made 1011HP on the dyno...don't know what yours is but I would think it would have to making very close to 1000.
Thanks again. Mike

Its never been on the dyno. The weight at the line ready to race is 3350lbs.
Doug

Its never been on the dyno. The weight at the line ready to race is 3350lbs.
Doug
Mine is 3255 on the line with 10 gal of gas and me (220lbs) … so mine is about 95lbs lighter...I can run only 5 gallons if gas and be just a little more lighter if I need to if I get real close to the 8 second slip.
Picture is my son-in-law checking valve lash for me while I sat back and watched.
Comp Roller Cam ([email protected] with .816 lift) Manley triple valve springs, Manley Titanium Valves and Retainers. Hansen Stage V Heads and Hansen Stage V rocker arm assemblies.

20200306_095609.jpg

Mine is 3255 on the line with 10 gal of gas and me (220lbs) … so mine is about 95lbs lighter...I can run only 5 gallons if gas and be just a little more lighter if I need to if I get real close to the 8 second slip.
Picture is my son-in-law checking valve lash for me while I sat back and watched.
Comp Roller Cam ([email protected] with .816 lift) Manley triple valve springs, Manley Titanium Valves and Retainers. Hansen Stage V Heads and Hansen Stage V rocker arm assemblies.

View attachment 920999

I would love to hear that run! Get us a good video sometime.

still going to vegas next week mike?

Auto Transport Service
Back