• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

70 B Body Electronic Ignition Conversion Orange Box Preferred Location

Chargerjase

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:10 PM
Reaction score
I am in the process of ordering a new engine wiring harness for my 70 Coronet. I know most people place the orange box on the fire wall or on the inner fender where mine is (pictured), as its close to the distributor. But, to preserve the original look as if it was a points car, has anybody located the orange box in hidden locations like under the battery tray for example? That's quite a bit of extra wiring length, but I would like opinions and pictures from people who have done this. I may as well get a harness made to suit now, rather than modify a new harness. I might opt to leave it where it is for convenience, but it does bother me. :rolleyes:

1692710211947.png

By the way, I know there are many non original items pictured in the engine bay, but I am in the process of returning it to stock appearance.

Having it under the battery tray sure won't be convenient.
But your firewall is pretty packed.
Maybe a ready to run distributor that looks stock?
Or put it inside the cabin with a separate ground wire.

I stay away from under the battery tray, acid vapors and electronics dont mix. Why not a petronixs unit in the distribtor or a GM hei mounted under the distributor?

I have a MSD HEI module mounted behind the battery [ on a GM car ], been there for years. between the battery & headlight. Not sure if that works on your car.

You can also mount it under the dash. Some wires [ pick up ] will need extending. Keep these wires separated from the coil neg wire.

Right where your heater pipework enters the cabin on the firewall is where they are typically mounted.

Here is how I mounted the Rev-N-Nator unit a few years ago....made use of the common hole and added one rivnut underneath.
(Please ignore the ugly Furd starter solenoid.....I used that while waiting for a replacement to arrive.)

1692773483860.png

Auto Transport Service
Back