• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

70 Charger headlight relay conversion

charger727

Local time
7:47 PM
Reaction score
So I'm trying to convert my headlights to a relay system, on a 70 Charger - but I'm having issues with the hideaway headlights

If I unplug the left headlight, (to install the relay conversion) the headlight doors open as soon as you turn on the ignition - regardless if you have the headlight switch on or off.

After lots of testing, I found that if I plug the conversion harness into the RIGHT headlight plug and put a spare headlight on the left headlight plug - everything works great.

So obviously, for the hidden headlight relay to function correctly, the left headlight needs to be installed to complete a circuit. Of course, it's pretty lame to have a 5th headlight hanging there...

Has anyone on the board worked out headlight relays, on a hidewaway headlight system?

Thanks

I used a 80's Chevy truck relay that was for the heater core fan. It was heavy duty and easily available. If you get it from the junk yard grab the wire harness clip to hold the wires. If you are going to but new from the parts store a head light wire clip can be made to work. I also added a new 30 amp circuit breaker before the relay. All of this was done under the dash. If you need more help let me know. I don't have any pictures handy to post.

Auto Transport Service
Back