• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

70 Charger six way seat, how to get tension spring back on?

chargervert

Local time
12:46 PM
Reaction score
I have a 70 Charger six way seat frame, and one of the coiled springs came off. I am trying to figure out how to get the spring back on without losing an eye. The spring seems to have a lot of tension on it,and is a very heavy gauge steel. I may have to make a special tool to grab the end of the spring, and press it against itself to wind it enough to get it back in the notch, and get the proper tension on it. I an also considering welding the other end so the spring cannot fly off and injure me or anyone else. Does anyone know what would be the best method of reinstalling the spring? Has anyone else had to do this? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Pete.

If you weld it or put any heat to it it will break at that point. NO HEAT !!!

I dont have 6 way seats, and dont know if this will help, but thought i'd try. My seat adjustment spring cam off. I hooked the back end of the spring on, pushed the seat to where it would have the least tension. And looped a long wire through the other end. Once i got it hooked in the front, i clipped the wire next to the spring and pulled it out.

I dont have 6 way seats, and dont know if this will help, but thought i'd try. My seat adjustment spring cam off. I hooked the back end of the spring on, pushed the seat to where it would have the least tension. And looped a long wire through the other end. Once i got it hooked in the front, i clipped the wire next to the spring and pulled it out.

Those springs are nothing like the 6-way springs.

The spring goes into a slot in the shaft,I was going to tack the end of the shaft so the spring wouldn't fly off while I am trying to wind it enough to get it into the tab that keeps tension on the spring. It sits in about a quarter inch from the end of the shaft,so the spring shouldn't heat up when I tack the shaft. I will take a picture of it when I get home tonight.

THIS spring ...

misc 013.jpg

The tab that the spring hooks onto appears to be on the opposite side of the shaft than the one in the picture that was posted. I used a very large Cresent wrench to put the spring back on. It took several attempts, and it was pretty risky. I used a heavy leather welding glove to hold the spring onto the shaft,while pulling on the spring with the wrench. Safety glasses were a must! Not a fun task!
20200116_203624.jpg

'70 2-way are different than '69 - which mine is. The photo was just to show what you were dealing with.

That explains why the spring tab was in a different location than the one in the picture. Thanks for posting it,and for your help.

Auto Transport Service
Back