• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

70 charger tear down

coloradodanny

Local time
4:41 AM
Reaction score
I started the tear down on my 70 Charger.
I’m getting her ready for sandblasting.
I started by removing the front bumper and grill assembly. The fenders were easy. The doors were next, followed by the windshield and dashboard. The steering column and steering box were kind of time consuming because of a stubborn pin. Finally all the components on the firewall, engine side and interior.
The car had no interior when I got it.
Today I’m going to remove the rear bumper, taillight assembly/ wiring , door glass, and the seat belts.
A shop vac is a good thing to keep on standby. Lots of dirt, rust, and mystery stuff to vac up. I used ziplock bags to keep and label my hardware as I removed them.
After the tear down is complete I will need to start cutting my floor panels or as well as the trunk. I have to replace the passenger rear frame rail. Not sure if I should do that first or wait until after sandblasting. I’m leaving her as a roller for transport but will need to tear her suspension and underbody down even more once on site at the blaster.
I have my frame rails, trunk pan, trunk extensions from AMD. It’s a good start. I’m enjoying what I’ve started so far. Any advice on cutting the floor pans and trunk out? How about temporary supports? Thanks guys!

8EBFB85C-9487-4A97-97EF-DA76386CA0E2.jpeg

25794719-1503-4ED8-B744-14C769E99DC4.jpeg

2813B499-8C9F-4BDB-A8F6-45A43E87E130.jpeg

2946B072-1C65-46C0-957E-B2F430722EC5.jpeg

E80CD7B1-23FF-4778-890F-0FAC535FF474.jpeg

A lot of good people have helped me along the way with my charger on here. Your in the right place!

Here is an excellent tip:
Be extremely careful with the grille. Reproductions are available but a nice original '70 Charger grille is very hard to find.

cut everything you intend to replace off before you blast......it will open up access to areas that need it

I started the tear down on my 70 Charger.
I’m getting her ready for sandblasting.
I started by removing the front bumper and grill assembly. The fenders were easy. The doors were next, followed by the windshield and dashboard. The steering column and steering box were kind of time consuming because of a stubborn pin. Finally all the components on the firewall, engine side and interior.
The car had no interior when I got it.
Today I’m going to remove the rear bumper, taillight assembly/ wiring , door glass, and the seat belts.
A shop vac is a good thing to keep on standby. Lots of dirt, rust, and mystery stuff to vac up. I used ziplock bags to keep and label my hardware as I removed them.
After the tear down is complete I will need to start cutting my floor panels or as well as the trunk. I have to replace the passenger rear frame rail. Not sure if I should do that first or wait until after sandblasting. I’m leaving her as a roller for transport but will need to tear her suspension and underbody down even more once on site at the blaster.
I have my frame rails, trunk pan, trunk extensions from AMD. It’s a good start. I’m enjoying what I’ve started so far. Any advice on cutting the floor pans and trunk out? How about temporary supports? Thanks guys!

View attachment 1369762

View attachment 1369763

View attachment 1369764

View attachment 1369767

View attachment 1369768
would you have a pic of were the lower corner bumper bolts to the fender, I was told there is a j bracket there that bolts them together.

NICE.. and what the guys said above.

Start a restoration thread in the members restoration section..

Auto Transport Service
Back