• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

70 charger XS29U0G185623 on ebay with fake tag

polywideblock

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:55 AM
Reaction score
just a warning to potential buyers ,lovely car on eBay but turns out to have a fake tag
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dodge-Charg...b11e39bb:g:VsUAAOSwHoFXuXh-&item=282144422331
315912_c3ebed0bcb_low_res.JPG

index.php

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,125622.0/all.html

Last edited:
Hmmm...added the A34 and D21 to the mix, did he???

4.10:1 Dana Super Trac-Pac and the four-speed.

The color combo is ****-hot, though! I'd love to own this...put back right, of course!

Last edited:
and the D21 4 speed was a D32 auto / H51 air cond car before the resto

Went to a BUNCH of trouble on that firewall and dash to completely delete that air from the car, shame, too. Of course, you couldn't get air on a 4-speed, 4.10-geared car originally. Were this really the way the car was built, his asking price would be reasonable. I would put this in the mid-$30s somewhere, not the high $50s.

member from DC.com spotted the different tag, he had the old one from 07-08 .look through thread in the link in first post

Last edited:
This would qualify as a "Oh ****" moment for the seller !

always pays to do some homework , at the least punch the vin into Google and see what comes up
twocents.gif

sad part is the original car would have been very nice as it was made , especially with air

It's not just a repopped tag, but it's a repopped tag made to look like an original tag (with the punch hole and bend in the corner) and "aged" to make it look 46 years old.

Isn't there a law against such forgeries? I don't see this as being any different than faking a Rembrandt or Picasso.

If the seller knows

They would have to know it, faking the patina and all. Pretty brazen on their part. How could they not know that every mopar guru in the northern hemisphere would look at that car and see that the numbers wouldn't jive.

Calling out fake tag cars is exactly one reason why some people collect pics of tags and save the data.

You can help prevent this fraud.

Please collect and share pics of cars, tags, broadcast sheets and other documents especially from "projects", cars being parted, and other cars at risk of being turned into fakes.

Hi everyone,

Got to give a shoutout to Polywideblock for bringing this to our attention yesterday. The vehicle is currently on consignment at our Charlotte, North Carolina location with Streetside Classics. We are in the process of reaching out to the owner to find out more of the story here and to make sure that we are not misrepresenting the vehicle. We don't believe the current owner performed the restoration, so they might be as much in the dark as we were. Unfortunately, this one appears to come with a history that we were not aware of. Thanks again to everyone here for your helpful information.

Unfortunate. Still, been pricing Chargers lately? People asking 20K for shitboxes that need 50-60K restos.

Guys, the VIN is apparently correct for that car. Items on the fender tag have been removed and replaced so that the car appears to be a four-speed car with 4.10, vs an automatic car with air. I agree that the fact the car is no longer what it was, and the items changed reflect what the builder wanted versus what the car was from the factory. Yet the important number, the VIN, is correct and matches both of the tags - original and made-up. People add and subtract items on a resto all the time, to personalize the car to their tastes. They just don't have a phantom fender tag made to reflect those changes!

The kicker, to me anyway, is "did the builder/seller intentionally misrepresent the car to be a FACTORY 4-speed Dana 4.10 TracPac car?" If so, that to me is fraud. But if he didn't, and both tags are with the car, I wouldn't see a huge problem. Where another problem lies is with subsequent owners that possibly do not know what was done, and down the line selling the car, thinking that the car was indeed a real four-speed car without air, getting in trouble down the road.

And for you guys that insist "numbers-matching doesn't matter"...well, yeah, it DOES, actually!

Hi everyone,

Got to give a shoutout to Polywideblock for bringing this to our attention yesterday. The vehicle is currently on consignment at our Charlotte, North Carolina location with Streetside Classics. We are in the process of reaching out to the owner to find out more of the story here and to make sure that we are not misrepresenting the vehicle. We don't believe the current owner performed the restoration, so they might be as much in the dark as we were. Unfortunately, this one appears to come with a history that we were not aware of. Thanks again to everyone here for your helpful information.
Oh ****, we've been spotted. Damage control...

no need for damage control , its the purpose of pointing out discrepancy's like this . if the dealer doesn't know how can anyone hold them accountable , this goes back to WHOEVER restored the car and made the fraudulent tag .
I take my hat off to "streetside classics" for acknowledging that there are said discrepancies and looking into it :thumbsup: .

if they were just the "its all bullshit, flipper types" they would be trying to shout down the people pointing out the wrong tag , and as someone already pointed out its still a "REAL " RT with CORRECT VIN it just has had a tag swap .

like someone doing a sex change on it ,poor car wouldn't know if its ARTHUR or MARTHA :lol:

Last edited:
no need for damage control , its the purpose of pointing out discrepancy's like this . if the dealer doesn't know how can anyone hold them accountable , this goes back to WHOEVER restored the car and made the fraudulent tag .
I take my hat off to "streetside classics" for acknowledging that there are said discrepancies and looking into it :thumbsup: .

if they were just the "its all bullshit, flipper types" they would be trying to shout down the people pointing out the wrong tag , and as someone already pointed out its still a "REAL " RT with CORRECT VIN it just has had a tag swap .

like someone doing a sex change on it ,poor car wouldn't know if its ARTHUR or MARTHA :lol:
It's a beautiful car.

Auto Transport Service
Back