• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

70 Column Harness Help with wire

mrmolding

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:42 AM
Reaction score
So I decided to restore my column and possibly change to power steering.
While disconnecting the two connectors that go to steering column, there is a white wire from the dash side of the two harness connectors that loops back and into the column so I need to figure out where it goes to get column out. I’m going to keep going tomorrow but I was wondering if anyone knows what this does this or what it goes to? In the picture the rightmost lower dash harness has this white wire that goes back into the column.

F2A861B5-4D24-45AB-973F-1B29E546F375.jpeg

Something is weird there. That's the brake lights signal, it should be running to the brake pedal switch.

On the female end it runs along the harness up to the turning switch, but on the male end should be a straight line to the pedal brake switch

Something is weird there. That's the brake lights signal, it should be running to the brake pedal switch.

On the female end it runs along the harness up to the turning switch, but on the male end should be a straight line to the pedal brake switch
Ok. I haven’t lost my mind! The PO put in led taillights. Maybe related to that. Thanks!!!!!

Well, the leds conversion shouldn't affect on this. The brake light signal comes from pedal switch, gets into the turning switch and splices into the dark green for one side tail light and dark brown to the other side tail light.

While TS is in rest, the brake signal keeps the contact to both. When either side is selected, cuts that side and links to the TS flasher ( red wire ) but keeps the brakes for the other side.

Well, the leds conversion shouldn't affect on this. The brake light signal comes from pedal switch, gets into the turning switch and splices into the dark green for one side tail light and dark brown to the other side tail light.
Hmm. Ok. I’ll dig in again tomorrow. Details to come! Thanks again!!!

While TS is in rest, the brake signal keeps the contact to both. When either side is selected, cuts that side and links to the TS flasher ( red wire ) but keeps the brakes for the other side.

So I took it apart more today and took pics. The white wire went through the column to the back of a terminal on the brake switch so maybe just rerouted? But it was also connected to a black wire that was taped and hanging under dash not connected to anything.
Additional rear window brake light at some point? Thanks again!

60CB392C-6DAA-464B-9A97-1FAB4A3DDA85.jpeg F8215294-0583-466C-B075-89DD99403B90.jpeg 0E79C90E-B93B-4F48-899C-768E99851093.jpeg

as far the white wire coming out from the male plug is running to the brake pedal switch, thats correct, as it must be.

The black wire... yes is a mod... for some 3rd stop? dunno, probably.

I don't get the white wire running to inside the column. The female end ( TS harness ) is already there for that.

2947503.jpg

Do you mean a DIFF white wire coming out from that same male end ?

this is all the brakes light circuit... pink from fuseblock, white between brakes light pedal switch up to TS which splitts out into brown and dark green up to left and right High intensity filaments on tail light bulbs

brakes wire.jpg

as far the white wire coming out from the male plug is running to the brake pedal switch, thats correct, as it must be.

The black wire... yes is a mod... for some 3rd stop? dunno, probably.

I don't get the white wire running to inside the column. The female end ( TS harness ) is already there for that.

View attachment 1150061

Do you mean a DIFF white wire coming out from that same male end ?

You are right about why did they route it from the dash side connector vs the one in the column. I have not had a chance to get back to the column but I'll update when I take it apart. Thanks SO MUCH for the great help!

Auto Transport Service
Back