• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

70 glove box liner question

wwheel

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:55 AM
Reaction score
I bought a replacement glove box liner for my '70 R Runner. Everything makes sense except for the cardboard flap that should cover the backside of the fuse block. See pics.

With the fuse block mounting brace welded to the dash frame, I don't see how the lower flap of the cover will fit over or around that. Seems like that flap cover needs to be stapled to the top, not the bottom side of the liner.

I am I missing something or is this insert built wrong? Not a critical part of the install, just want to do it right.

Thanks!

glove box 1.jpg

glove box 2.jpg

I “think” the lower flap folds around behind the fuse box. My aftermarket glove box doesn’t have that “lower flap” (fyi)

You are correct and the flap should cover the rear of the block. But the short part of the flap where attached to the liner is in the same position as the mounting strap for the fuse block. How does that piece go around the mounting strap? Do I cut a hole/slot in it for the strap to slide through?

I can't tell from your photos...but the flap should fold down over the top of the fuse block. Where did you purchase? Could be made wrong.

GB liner.png

Thanks for the pic and yes, mine is made wrong. If you look at my pic, the flap is mounted on the same side as the slots along the edge. On yours, the slots are opposite the flap mounting. That makes sense and the way it should be. I don't remember where i bought it from and has been too many years. But this resolves the issue. Also, there are three tabs on the back of the fuse block that I assume are keepers for the flap. I don't have pics now but can get tomorrow.

Your insert looks nicer than mine. Has a better quality look to the cardboard.

Thanks!

Pretty sure I bought from Detroit muscle but not 100%. Looking at their website and their part, the tags look the same as what I have. AND the flap is mounted incorrectly!!! Flap is on the same side as the slots like mine. That's wrong. Classic Industries' liner is correct and looks like 70gtx's.

Easy fix but just wanted make sure I haven't totally lost my mind!!!

You know, I got mine from Detroit as well a few years ago and I just never got around to worrying about it. Now I am! I love this place! Will look at the Classic version.

Update: The Classic one did not show the flap, but the AMS Obsolete on eBay did. Ordered. Thanks!

Last edited:
I contacted Detroit and haven't heard back. I have bought many things from them and happy with their product line. I think they just missed on this one. Maybe they have it already figured out? I sat and stared at the flap thinking I must be missing something and didn't have the old one to go by. Its the simple things like this that can drive you crazy!

To finish this off: I removed the fuse block flap by removing the three staples. Used the same staples to resecure the bottom overlap. Then moved the fuse block flap to the correct position on top. I just hot glued the flap instead of using staples. I did however use a silver marker to give the illusion that staples were used. Good enough for me and moving on to other adventures.

Thanks for the help.

glove box liner.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back