• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

70 Hemi Superbird Restoration..................errr.....scratch that........

Wow man this is best post i have read so far! Gives me so much motivation to continue my build! Now to go back to the start and read it again!

B5A69611-4272-41AF-80B6-31E63EA31554_zpshsaafzps.jpg

Fabricated a simple fixture for the driver side upper control arm. I'll build the passenger side fixture on the other end. I like my version better.

Looking great Mike, if everything goes good on my recovery I might just have to swing down it will be good therapy for me to see a twin turbo Superbird, in satin black. Lol

Looking great Mike, if everything goes good on my recovery I might just have to swing down it will be good therapy for me to see a twin turbo Superbird, in satin black. Lol
That would be great. You're welcome anytime!!

I need to find room for an alternator, puke tank, an AC compresser, tons of plumbing, oil filter, headers and a radiator and shroud.

It looks easy until you start piling stuff in there. Did you go with an aluminum radiator? What brand and who's shroud? What's the height dimension over the shroud if you laid the combo on the floor? I need to keep my intake elbows out past that point.

C3BDDAD6-FC75-435A-BCE7-A1065524135A_zpsjc6z5nks.jpg

The green will be the intake tubes. You can see that they'll be in the way of everything. I even clearanced part of the oil tank for the elbow.
4CB83387-00AA-406C-A81D-DA519D13690E_zpsip0t8x94.jpg

I bet! how big are the tubes3 or 4 inch?

Nice work on the tank, everything is looking awesome as usual! I would love to see this car in person when you get it finished up, going to be a sweet car.

Have you looked at the SD Concepts serpentine kits? They will customize kits to your liking, I think the setup I used might work for you if they swapped the alternator location to where my A/C pump is (if your not going to have A/C). My A/C pump is directly in front of the passenger side head but not above it with the alternator being where 69 GTX's A/C is. Just a thought.

I bet! how big are the tubes3 or 4 inch?
The elbows are 3" turning into two drive by wire throttle bodies. They exit the TBs into 4" tube which goes into the intake.

Last edited:
Nice work on the tank, everything is looking awesome as usual! I would love to see this car in person when you get it finished up, going to be a sweet car.

Have you looked at the SD Concepts serpentine kits? They will customize kits to your liking, I think the setup I used might work for you if they swapped the alternator location to where my A/C pump is (if your not going to have A/C). My A/C pump is directly in front of the passenger side head but not above it with the alternator being where 69 GTX's A/C is. Just a thought.
I saw that kit. My motorplate, intake tubes and forward facing turbo headers rule that out.

C3BDDAD6-FC75-435A-BCE7-A1065524135A_zpsjc6z5nks.jpg

The green will be the intake tubes. You can see that they'll be in the way of everything. I even clearanced part of the oil tank for the elbow.
4CB83387-00AA-406C-A81D-DA519D13690E_zpsip0t8x94.jpg
i do love your fabrication skills. i read through but may have missed it, what thickness are you using for aluminum? it looks thick enough to not be flimsy, but seems its forming well for you. thin is easy, but thick is very hard and cracks so you seemed to pick the perfect middle ground. also are you using a spool gun or tig?

i do love your fabrication skills. i read through but may have missed it, what thickness are you using for aluminum? it looks thick enough to not be flimsy, but seems its forming well for you. thin is easy, but thick is very hard and cracks so you seemed to pick the perfect middle ground. also are you using a spool gun or tig?
The tank is .080 3003 corrosion resistant tank grade aluminum. It forms well. I also use .080 6061. It's a bit tougher to form but is stronger. I'm using a Lincoln Squarewave 175 TIG.

The elbows will be 6061 aluminum with a wall thickness of .060 which is typical of most turbo piping.

My A/C pump is directly in front of the passenger side head but not above it with the alternator being where 69 GTX's A/C is. Just a thought.
This keeps sticking in my mind. That's where I would like both the A/C pump and the alternator. I just don't know how it's all going to play with the hemi heads, motor plate and turbo headers. I'll post more mock up shots this weekend.

So..... somehow.... the engine ended up an inch too far forward! Lol ....
33E1755B-F7AB-49B8-AC7F-2EF95267A51A_zpsliv6rpn8.jpg

The oil tank will need notched for the valve cover. I knew that need done, but didn't expect so much which is what got me looking at engine placement.
346997D4-CE21-424D-82EF-1BB2EB6B5AE0_zps8mlsxk1u.jpg

At least I caught it now at this stage when it's easy to correct.

Auto Transport Service
Back