• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

70 R/R gas tank exchange. Advise please.

skrambler

Local time
11:30 AM
Reaction score
Finally, I was able to purchase a new Spectra fuel tank for my 70 R/R. It is suppose to come with a gasket, and a locking ring.

The tank I have currently in the car leaks when I have more than 4 gallons in it. The leak is where one of the two vent tube nipples meets, or should I say enters the tank.
The sending unit seems to work fine, and is accurate (for the small amounts of gas I have been struggling with having to use).

My question is, is there any tricks or cautions I should be aware of prior, or during the swap out? My straps seem fine, and the small grounding strap is in place too.
Any advise for a fellow that has not done this before would be appreciated!

Some thoughts on tank replacement:
Wear eye protection. When removing the tank, falling dirt and rust will make the job miserable.
Get help. I used a floor jack to manipulate the tank but a friend would have been a lot more helpful.
Replace the rubber filler tube and vent line. Those things are 43 years old and don't like being disturbed.
Work from the front of the diff when hooking up the fuel line. And check the accuracy of the fuel gauge when filling for the first time. See what each 5 gallons shows on the indicator. You'll be glad you did.
Good luck! HTH.

Yup, it's quite straight forward and as "Trashdog67" the dirt can and will fall into your eyes.
I always make sure I use penetrating oil on the threaded screws (1 on each strap) anfd I "hand" wire brush each threaded screw to facilitate ease of the removal of the nuts.
Now is a good time to clean and paint your straps before you replace them.

Don't use the supplied lock ring,use your old one as it a fuzz thicker.The new one is to thin and tinny and doesn't hold the sending unit tight.And for sure use your old sender if it works as the new ones suck.Siphon as much gas as you can out of the tank before you drop it.

Excellent advice so far esp eye protection and draining tank as much as possible and and let it vent to the open air for a while to dissipate the vapor of draining and the tank ... i've used a small wooden wire brush as a tool to knock the ears of the lock ring to break it free from the seal. Put one end on a lock ring ear and tap the other end lightly with a hammer. Don't use a screwdriver/metal tool obs.

Change your sock !

Thanks all for your replies. I can not tell you how many times I have started fiddling around with the underside of the car, just to curse myself when junk falls in every possible opening in my head! You think that I would learn!
Dumb question here... What is the "sock" that has been mentioned to replace? Where do you recommend for me to purchase one?
Also, can I assume that the lock ring is going to loosen from the old tank with ease? Should that ring be pre-lubed with PB Blaster or something of that sort, or is a simple tap from a wooden tool good enough?

Vent tubes....I see that I have been advised to change these tubes out too. Are these items available anywhere? Or, does one simply "make" them? I have read some horror stories about these tubes on other postings that they actually leak fuel if you are parked at an angle... Again, just want to make sure that I have everything I may need before I start to change out the tank. Thanks guys! This forum is priceless!

Auto Transport Service
Back