• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

70 roadrunner question

DaneBisel

Local time
6:08 PM
Reaction score
I have a 70 roadrunner 4 speed n96 that is just a roller. I am starting to gather parts for the engine build. I am looking for information on which intake/ carb combos will work with a 440 airgrabber base plate with no modifications and function properly. Any information would be appreciated. I've searched the forums and only came up with info on modified 383 base plates. I have to buy the carb and the intake so I mind as well buy the right one to start with! Thank you for your time and consideration

I've been down this road, so I will share what I found. The hood clearance is really, really tight. As you probably know, the 440 air cleaner (say, from a GTX) is shorter by about 1". This compensates for a 440/426 wedge/413 RB being roughly 1" taller than a 383/400 B motor.

The short answer to your question is that just about the only intakes that will fit with an air grabber hood are stock intakes. You have only about 1/2"-3/4" over stock height and you start running into clearance problems. For example, to add the 1" thick nitrous plates to my stock six-pack intake/carbs/air cleaner I had to cut the bottom half of the air grabber scoop (the trap door itself) in order for it to close. I had similar problems when I ran 4-barrels. When I had a 383 in the car, using a stock intake & air cleaner, I could close the hood with a 1" carb spacer (383/340 air cleaner) and it would hit a little bit, but all worked. When I put the 440 in (at first with a 4 bbl.), I had to scrap the carb spacer & clearance (slightly) the stock intake and bottom of a 3310 750 vac. secondary Holley. No aftermarket intake I tried would fit (I tried 3) and allow the hood/scoop to close.

So, the good news is your intake will be cheap! (stock)

Also, the '70+ air cleaners have more room than big, oval '69 ones.

Great information. Thank you for saving me sooooo many headaches! Is the 71 only 440 intake 3512501 the same height and shape as the 70? Word on the street is that it provides better flow. Thanks!

Great information. Thank you for saving me sooooo many headaches! Is the 71 only 440 intake 3512501 the same height and shape as the 70? Word on the street is that it provides better flow. Thanks!

I'm not sure about that. Maybe you can see if one of the F.A.S.T. guys can help you on that. I know they machine the heck out of stock intakes..... very expensive from what I've heard.

On a related note.... I used to have a low block dual quad (stock, cast iron) in-line. I believe it was from a early/mid 60's 383 and I "think" there are some 413 intakes that are similar. Also, Offenhauser used to have (maybe still does) a low-profile aluminum dual quad intake. I've often wondered if the carburetor spacing was the same as a 426 Hemi??? If it was, then you could use one of those dual quad intakes + Hemi air cleaner on a B or RB motor and fit under the air grabber hood. I'm POSITIVE that my 383 intake would've fit....just not sure about the air cleaner situation.

you can use a Mopar m1 dual plane or a Holley street dominator single plane. Some of the short edlebrock single planes like the tarantula might work.

Auto Transport Service
Back