• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'70 RR lower column bearing - does it have that?

wwheel

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:18 PM
Reaction score
I have looked through threads on this but never seem to get an answer to my question. I am rebuilding the steering column on my '70 RR with manual 4 speed floor shift. It is a manual steering box car if that matters. I am totally confused whether I need a lower column bearing for this car? My column has the solid plastic ring with clip that fits between the steering tube and the inner tube. I am pretty sure the inner tube in this application is used for the lock out system as used in '70.

But I cannot see how a lower bearing could be fitted on this column in addition to the solid plastic ring that I have. There was not a lower bearing when I took it apart nor any evidence of it ever having one. I see that the manual column shift models have the bearing as well as models that do not have the inner tube. The parts diagrams I have seem to support that I should not need this lower bearing. Please enlighten me!

Thanks!

No lower bearing. When column is installed the center shaft has to be centered within the outer housing. The toe plate on the firewall allows the centering adjustment. There was a special centering tool to do this. I never used it and centered the column by eye.

Ok and thanks! I wondered why the toe plate had such large holes in relation to the bolts securing it. I'll sleep better tonight!

Would it have this?

No bearing of any kind in a 1970 column.
Just one of these. Goes between the outer jacket and the inner shift tube

s-l1600.jpg

Different year of course but this is what I had made for my 65. Originally it uses this rubber/plastic boot on the end of the column for shaft alignment and to keep the junk out but I had a guy make me a Delrin bushing to go inside the tube. When I work on the column in the future, I'll be using both units.

C00091F2-CC4A-49C4-9360-41B91628E558.jpeg

Different year of course but this is what I had made for my 65. Originally it uses this rubber/plastic boot on the end of the column for shaft alignment and to keep the junk out but I had a guy make me a Delrin bushing to go inside the tube. When I work on the column in the future, I'll be using both units.

View attachment 1332790
1965 AND 1966 are very very different animals compared to later years

Auto Transport Service
Back