• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'71-'72 vs. '73-'74

pabster

Local time
5:46 PM
Reaction score
So maybe this thread has been visited before, but

why are the 2 earlier years of the 3rd generation Charger much more prized than the last 2 years?

Is it engines offered, colors, styling touches? I can't get enough of my '74, but I get the impression it's the least desirable year. Not that I care since I'm keeping it for the long haul, but I'm curious.

And yes, the huge rubber bumper guards are not my favorite, so I'm sure that's a factor. Thanks for the opinions in advance...

This will make you feel much better

http://www.hemmings.com/hmn/stories/2011/02/01/hmn_buyers_guide1.html

And the longer I have my 74 the more I like it. Yeah at first I, like everybody else I wanted a 69. But the longer I spend deep in the mopar world, the more I appreciate the quiet understated class and style you can not get from a rectangular box. And these days the 73-74 will accept any of the Hi po motors and drive assys of the older days.

as far as satellites go...my personal opinion is that, except for the RR bulge hood of 73/4 everything else on them loses the lines they had in 71/2..not disrespecting anyone..just my .02

For me,my 73 Satellite wagon has power disc brakes,electronic ignition,and sway bars.
My old 71 Coronet had none of that.
My 73 rides and handles better compared to my 71.
I really liked the lines of my old 71.
Sure I could have done upgrades to the 71,but getting the factory goodies with the 73 gives me instant gratification.
As for the bumpers,well my 73 are not so bad.
Being a bare bones car,they are all rubber without the chrome guards and do not stick out as much.
Compared to other Phord/GM/AMC offerings of 73, Chrysler did a better job style wise conforming to the 5 MPH bumper law,IMHO.(More like cheating,but who cares?)
2007-01-02-2343-411.jpg

waygunwheels003-1.jpg

great topic

Pabster, Speaking just from the stand point of a Charger, not Sat, I myself prefer the 71 design, the sleek new look of them began in 71 so i guess thats my only explanation for why i would rather have a 71 next to the 73-74, If i had the money and could get a Charger right now, if it was a 74, in no way would it hinder me from getting it, Ive seen yours several places, Its a beautiful ride, ive had so many green ones that its just not my choice of colors but it would not stop me from buying one in green. Your car is in such a shape inside and out, lol, i wouldn't hate the idea of owning it! I think most just does not like what happened with emissions, HP,ect with any of them past 70 i can understand it, but how people can dislike a Charger or Satellite is a bit beyond me, Those Chargers are sleek looking to me from a side view i think they look great, im enjoying a couple of resto builds here at the site now with them, 68-70 RR, is what id like to own again as my final car, but inbetween if i find a Charger i can grab, 71-74, im going to try to get it, maybe trade my Ram for one but i want one thats not done, one i can work on like my 73 but i don't know about a 6 1/2 year project now. I could get a 68-70 RR or clone i have no cares about "RM" on that VIN, I just wont trade my 73 to start the process, could have traded a 68 RRC for mine two years ago, i wouldn't, i like you am keeping this one and when im gone they can do whatever. Just my 2 cents. Good thread! I love them all, most do but we all have our "favorite" model/year/colors.. Be a terrible car show if we all like the same, I like them for the fun, some have them and they sit, don't even drive them, i cant do that..

I love both of those cars.....I have had a 77 fury, a 74 Coronet, and a 71 Satellite....all four doors and loved all of them!!

For me,my 73 Satellite wagon has power disc brakes,electronic ignition,and sway bars.
My old 71 Coronet had none of that.
My 73 rides and handles better compared to my 71.
I really liked the lines of my old 71.
Sure I could have done upgrades to the 71,but getting the factory goodies with the 73 gives me instant gratification.
As for the bumpers,well my 73 are not so bad.
Being a bare bones car,they are all rubber without the chrome guards and do not stick out as much.
Compared to other Phord/GM/AMC offerings of 73, Chrysler did a better job style wise conforming to the 5 MPH bumper law,IMHO.(More like cheating,but who cares?)
2007-01-02-2343-411.jpg

waygunwheels003-1.jpg

Disclaimer: all personal styling preferences here:

I had a '71 383 magnum Charger way back in the day and it was fun to drive, but I never liked how it looked and couldn't figure out why. A few decades later I realize that it's the back side windows - they're upside-down, which got fixed in '73 and '74. Unfortunately the better-styled windows were covered up on a lot of models by "brougham" covers, but those can come off and you've got a great-looking car.

Why are the 73/74 models less appealing? Because the Charger was on its way to becoming the Cordoba, a land yacht of luxury, and power/performance were in the rear view mirror. It's sort of a moot point now though, since we can all swap in whatever performance we want. Rubber bumper guards can be removed, too.

In my dream garage I'd go with a '69 or '70 first, but a 73/74 would be second on the list.

I almost bought a 73, and must say I did like it, but I found the early ones just a little more appealing, and so, I ended up with 2-71 r/t (long story why I got 2).
I also, think this is about the time the "muscle car" era began its decline, so in alot of peoples minds, it was the last year of the muscle car, of course not entirely true, but it is the perception.

I think people prefer the 71-2 charger’s maybe because no one really cared for the bumpers sticking out do to the new MPH bump test. I think the bigger K frame also had something to do with that as well. Those k frames always seem to rot out on the left rear mount for some reason. I do like the 73-74 charger rear ¼’s better the way they curve up a little in the rear. The 73-74 “s is a sporty looking Cordoba, and think there’s nothing wrong with that. I love and miss my Cordoba.

I grew up with these cars, and I never liked the 69-70 cars when they were new. They were too boxy for me, and back then the cool look was the long front deck/short rear deck of the pony cars. They made the B bodies look very dated. I liked the 71/72 look when it came out and replaced the box cars, but I never liked the dual drooping nose on the Satellites and while I've come to appreciate the 68-70 cars, I still just don't like the nose on the 71/72s.

I fell in love with the 73/74 Roadrunners the first time I saw the lifesized poster of one on the front windows of a Plymouth dealership on RT 22 in Monroeville, PA. It had the long front/short rear look I liked and they had fixed that horrid nose. :)

As for the "vs" thing, conventional wisdom is that 1972 was the end of the muscle car era because insurance, gas prices, and emissions requirements had killed off all the big horsepower engines. You could still get the cubic inches, but not the horsepower from it. That's why 71-72s are valued higher than 73-74s.

BTW... my favorite Roadrunners after 73-74s are the orange 76-79 Volare birds with the red to black stripes. I've always wanted one of them. :)

I have always been a Plymouth guy over the Dodge in most cases, '68 and newer. I thought the '68/9 Chargers were pretty sharp but I bought a new '69 RR when I got cut loose from the Service. Less Money. On the personal taste thing I felt that Dodge/Chrysler blew it on the '70 and up Charger styling. I felt that the stylist that changed to that huge grille for the '70 Charger should have been tarred and feathered. As far as the '71/2 Plymouth B bodies verses the '73/4 cars??? My vote would go to the '73/4 cars by a slight edge. Also had a 'Doba (big block car) and a '77 Charger Daytona.....wish I still had both of them!
Bob

As far as HP the difference came in they went to net horsepower in 73 instead of gross hp which had higher numbers,but didn't take in account all the accessories that is on the engine which brought down the numbers considerably. I have a 78 Doba as a driver and had 72 Sats in the past. I am restoring a 74 Charger now.

Thanks for the responses, folks! Waygun, that wagon of yours is... just awesome.

I'm definitely I'm in the minority- I like the 3rd generation Charger more than the 2nd. Good thing for me since I couldn't afford a '68-'70 anyway. Since I've never driven a '71-'72, I don't know the differences in ride, brakes, handling, etc... I will agree that the lines are more... muscular than the last two years. But billfury's point of the back half curving up in the rear is a nice touch on the later models. But I will have to disagree with bill on the '74 being a "sporty looking Cordoba". No disrespect to the 'Doba folks, but the '74's look nothing like the '75's to me...

Attachments

• IMG_1191.jpg
    IMG_1191.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 918
  • 1975-dodge-charger-se-5500-lexington-kentucky-21146089.jpg
    1975-dodge-charger-se-5500-lexington-kentucky-21146089.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 1,552
^ Well, the windshield looks like it was carried over from 74 to 75. :sideways tongue:

Thanks for the responses, folks! Waygun, that wagon of yours is... just awesome.

But I will have to disagree with bill on the '74 being a "sporty looking Cordoba". No disrespect to the 'Doba folks, but the '74's look nothing like the '75's to me...

I was talking about the suspension part of the car not the looks. Sorry for the mix up.

on the 74 road runner or dual bage units how much after market parts avi.:eusa_think:

I'm biased, I have a 72 so I'm going to side in with the 71-72 models. I almost bout a 74 years ago, but the lack of options left me unsatisfied. I'm really glad I found a Rallye to get into the Charger club. To be honest I was always partial to the 69 charger RT. But the runner up ( in my opinion)was a 71 RT. Never really looked at 72 as being desired till recently. I like all Mopar's. Some more than others. But I would take a 79 Aspen or Magnum over a ford rustang or a chevy sombrero.

I think the main reason for the Chargers is that in 73-74 they got like 10" longer....and most of that was from the rear wheels back. ...but I like it. I had a 73 340 Rallye car in high school. Wish I still had it.

Auto Transport Service
Back