• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

71-73 4 Speed Coronet

carfan

Local time
8:12 AM
Reaction score
Does anyone have any information for, or photos of a 71-73 Coronet 4 speed? I Have read about the wagon but have not found any other information.

i don't know about a 4 speed one
but i would imagine a 3 on the tree version was made.

Somewhere i read about a few 71 coronet wagons getting a four speed. It was on the books, they would build it. The one pic I have seen shows the bench seat pistol grip, it was the only type of shifter for the 4 speeds. I think the threat is at the old moparstyle website.

The only photo I have seen was from a white wagon that was converted to a 440. The car was originally a 383 4 speed car though. If I remember correctly, it was stated the car was only 1 of 4. I don't know if that mean 1 of 4 wagons with a 4 speed or did that apply to the whole Coronet lineup.

it would be 1 of 4 wagons with the 4 speed. One of the problems with 1971 is that records are not as complete as other years, a lot of stuff was just combined.

There was a green one with woodgrain on the sides for sale at Carlisle a few years back. It was a 383 4 speed with a bench seat and a pistol grip shifter. It was on the fender tag that it was an original 4 speed car.

Hi Carfan, what kind of information/photos are you looking for, exactly? I'm in the process of converting my '72 Coronet to a four-speed. I've collected the metal parts (tunnel hump, clutch pivot bracket) that need to be welded in for the conversion, then I'll begin on the installation. Just pulled the 904 out the week before last.
Are you looking for conversion pics? Just trying to find out how many were made? Something else? Let me know, I'll be happy to help! :)

Hey Pantom440, I just gotta say you have excellent taste in automobiles! lol and now I'm thinking of making mine a row-your-own 4 door... I think I have an 833 laying around somewhere...cant be that hard to do...

Thank you, BigYellaStella, may I say you also have excellent taste in automobiles! ;)
I'm excited to see how easy this conversion is going to be... and I mean how "easy," quote-unquote, this is going to be. Trying to follow the instructions for other 71-72 B's, but the longer wheelbase vs. Chargers/Satellites means I may be SOL. I know if nothing else, I'll need a longer (cu$tom) driveshaft.
But if you happen to have a 2nd 833 laying around, hook a fellow Coronet'er up! ;)

For me, the hard part will probably be welding in the Z bar pivot to the driver's side frame rail.

I didn't even know I'd have to do that until last month, and I've been collecting parts for 2 years.

That was the last part.

Not a lot of room to work in that area, and I just got done painting and now have my engine back in.

Hi YY1, I'm intrigued to see this process, as well. Right now, I just have a warmed-over 318 w/headers, so I should have more room to work in there than a big-block. A 440 is in the cards later, so I should be able to just swap bellhousings and the 4-speed will still work. But as far as that Z-bar pivot bracket, I believe it's right on top of the rail, so depending on the welder and gun, it might be able to be done with the engine still in the car. I hope so, anyway! :)
Right now I'm saving up to have a welder work on the car. It needs a new floorboard under the pedals, and I've got that piece. I have the tunnel hump, and the pivot bracket. If he can get the bracket in without my having to remove the engine, I'll let you guys know! :)
(And I apologize to Carfan if I'm hijacking this thread with my conversion talk- not my intention.)

IIRC, there was an article in Mopar Action back in 1994-96 about a white 71 4spd car. I saw the car at the Nationals in, I think, 1995. It was very nicely restored.

Auto Transport Service
Back