• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

71 B body cars VIN/core support numbers

carcrazyguy

Local time
4:02 PM
Reaction score
On 71 B body cars, were numbers stamped on the core support the last 8 digits of the VIN, or were they the order number?

It will be your Vin located on the Radiator support,same as last # on first line on data plate and on you dash plate.

The car in question is missing the option tag. The last 8 digits of the VIN do not match the core support. Just wanted to make sure the core support numbers were suppose to be the same as the dash VIN plate. I do not own this car, it is one that is for sale.

Thanks, that is what I thought. Just did not want to tell someone wrong and keep them from picking up what seemed to be a good deal. I guess that is why it was such a "good deal", numbers are not matching up!:no:

Edit: yes there is a VIN plate on the dash, however it does not match the core stamp.

The numbers also will be on the cowl.On the drivers side under or near the rubber seal.

With the core numbers and dash plate not matching, there was no reason to keep searching for the asking price. Seemed like a decent bargin until that.

Car might have been wrecked and core support replaced, I would check the #s on the cowl and see if they match dash plate.

My car which has the fender tag, door jam sticker and dash plate does NOT have a VIN stamp on the cowl under the weather stripping, nor does it have a stamp on the engine side of the rad support.

I read its not unheard of for some cars to get missed when they were stamping.

Also check on the trunk lip, driver's side, under the weather stripping. If all of those are different, there's a good chance it's a car that's had the VIN replaced

not on 71-74 b-body :no:

68-70 b- body yes

My car which has the fender tag, door jam sticker and dash plate does NOT have a VIN stamp on the cowl under the weather stripping, nor does it have a stamp on the engine side of the rad support.

I read its not unheard of for some cars to get missed when they were stamping.

on my 71 gtx is on top in middle of rad support.

Been too long since I messed with the 2nd generation. I know on the 68-70, there are stamps on the radiator support, package tray, trunk lip, and I think the inner front left frame stub. Where are they on the 2nd gen cars?

on the 68-70 radiator support fender tag dash driver door driver side trunk lip

there no numbers on package tray the inner front left frame stub

on 71 -74 is on radiator support, fender tag and cowl:grin: dash driver door

on my 71 gtx is on top in middle of rad support.

Ya, I was looking at Moopa's on the weekend and his was also on top of the rad support in the middle and on the cowl in front of the driver.

Auto Transport Service
Back