• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

71' B'body Headers

kma9176

Local time
7:34 AM
Reaction score
Anyone reccomend which long tube headers are best for a 340 stroker in a 71'Satellite ? Have Headmans at the moment but will need changing soon - I was told the Doug Thorley headers were best but they dont do them for a small block in a B'body??

There was a post talking about this a week or two ago. It seems like the main header concern for small blocks was ground clearance on the driver’s side. Many/most have 3 pipes hanging very low. It’s been a while since I ran small blocks, but that sounds correct

Here are Dougs headers on my small block that is in my 71 Runner.
August 26th (14).jpg
August 26th (16).jpg
Sept 18th, 2023 (33).jpg

You can see in the first photo that the collector is a little lower than the bottom of the engine K-member.

They look great - whats the clearance like 2nd bolt back on the drivers side ? and do you know how far past the rear engine plate the collector flange sits ?(just so I know how much modifying I'm up for)
Kind regards
Kev

Kma9176 - I used the standard stud setup on the outer holes.
On all of the inner holes I used a 5/16-18UNC x 2" long stainless set screw with standard size ny-lok nuts.
No need for any special header bolts.
The second nut back on the drivers side along with the second nut from the front can be tightened with a open end wrench.

Not sure what you mean by 'rear engine plate'.

Here's a picture from the underside showing the collectors in place.
Oct 29th (5).jpg

Kma9176 - I used the standard stud setup on the outer holes.
On all of the inner holes I used a 5/16-18UNC x 2" long stainless set screw with standard size ny-lok nuts.
No need for any special header bolts.
The second nut back on the drivers side along with the second nut from the front can be tightened with a open end wrench.

Not sure what you mean by 'rear engine plate'.

Here's a picture from the underside showing the collectors in place.
View attachment 1600401
Thats great info thankyou rear of engine plate? Just the rear part of the engine where the Trans bell housing would bolt to (I was just tring to think of a reference point?)

YY1 - I'll have to get a photo of the oil filter setup.
That filter was on it when it was on the dyno along with dyno headers.
I hope it comes off....:praying:

I picked up a set of ceramic coated Flowtech long tube headers at a swap meet. Nice heavy flanges. Ran them on my LA360 and then my 5.9 magnum with zero issues. I have power steering and they also have plenty of ground clearance.

YY1 - I'll have to get a photo of the oil filter setup.
That filter was on it when it was on the dyno along with dyno headers.
I hope it comes off....:praying:
I'd think so. but you can always get the 90* oil filter adapter

WileERobby - no 90* adapter for me, they can be restrictive.
I took a couple of close up photos last night.
20240 Jan 30 (1).jpg
20240 Jan 30 (2).jpg
20240 Jan 30 (3).jpg

It's pretty close.
When it comes time to fire up the engine I'll put a new smaller one on.

So, I looked at the small block Flowtech headers on Summit.

They sure look to me like they go below the steering.

Can anyone confirm or deny?

I am VERY impressed with their big block headers, especially for the price.
They may be one of those "best kept secrets".

So, I looked at the small block Flowtech headers on Summit.

They sure look to me like they go below the steering.

Can anyone confirm or deny?

I am VERY impressed with their big block headers, especially for the price.
They may be one of those "best kept secrets".
like I said in my previous post, I purchased my headers at a swap meet and from all of the research I have done I am 95% sure they are Flowtech headers. They fit great with no clearance isss, thick straight flanges and no leaks with remflex gaskets. I have had the same headers on both my LA 360 and my current Magnum 5.9 in my 72 Satty with AC. My car is currently on a lift so i dont have great pictures but i have never bottomed out. Currently using a straight full sized oil filter. FWIW the guy purchased them from said they would not fit in his A body and did some hammer work on the primary pipes but they would not have been necessary in my case.

IMG_20240131_092756.jpg

IMG_20240131_092738.jpg

IMG_20240131_092719.jpg

So they are below the steering link, then?

Your link pic looks like they're not, but the pic of your car looks like they are.

The link pic also doesn't look like the same design.

Shows driver's side 4 tubes in a square config.

Pic on car shows three on the bottom.

Auto Transport Service
Back