• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

71 Charger 727 parking pawl engagement

And the oil for the governor flows through the the hub & the slip rings... The problem is either the rod, guide or the pawl ...

Seems to me the rod is bent. I don’t have a spare to compare to but there’s a few noticeable spots where it seems almost kinked anyone know where I could locate a new one?

image.jpg

Most any transmission shop that still works on vintage stuff should have parts... I just picked up a seal kit from a local supplier yesterday, they are happy to sell pars & not have to do the work...

Trying to help.... Ever if I do piss ya off at times... :lol:

Trying to help.... Ever if I do piss ya off at times... :lol:
. it didn’t help it’s the third time the things been apart and it’s 90 in my garage. I was pissed long before you commented lol

I thought the same thing. So I’ve just finished pulling the extension housing again and making sure everything is lined up correctly. Again all 4 corners on stands she locks up in park no issues. Then I adjusted the linkage to the Haynes manual specs, again everything is working as it should. Drop it on the ground and push in park CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK. The dog just bounces out of the gear on the output shaft. Pick everything up, adjust, set it down, no park. Tried disconnecting the linkage and it will not stay in park gear. It did before the driveshaft went in now it just pops out unless the dog and gear are lined up.

I thought the same thing. So I’ve just finished pulling the extension housing again and making sure everything is lined up correctly. Again all 4 corners on stands she locks up in park no issues. Then I adjusted the linkage to the Haynes manual specs, again everything is working as it should. Drop it on the ground and push in park CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK. The dog just bounces out of the gear on the output shaft. Pick everything up, adjust, set it down, no park. Tried disconnecting the linkage and it will not stay in park gear. It did before the driveshaft went in now it just pops out unless the dog and gear are lined up.

Problem is, with the extension housing on, you cant be sure the park rod is in the correct position.

When installing the extension housing in the car, shift to "1" to extend the park rod as far back as possible. This makes it easier to correctly align the end of the park rod with tapered ramp it slides into.

Problem is, with the extension housing on, you cant be sure the park rod is in the correct position.

When installing the extension housing in the car, shift to "1" to extend the park rod as far back as possible. This makes it easier to correctly align the end of the park rod with tapered ramp it slides into.
I did that. (Learned the hard way) I could also stick my finger into the gap between the housing and trans case before the snap ring goes back onto the bearing and could feel the rod against the tapered guide. A mechanics mirror also confirmed correct orientation. After pulling the pan and extension housing again I was able to sight down the rod and noticed a pretty nice bow to it. So I’ve got a “new to me” one coming that I’ll compare and change. Hopefully that’s the extent of it. If not I can get a core valve body and swap whatever it is that I need onto my good one.

Good Luck, hurry up & get that thing running so your friends can put shoe polish, paper streamers and tin cans all over it.....

Good Luck, hurry up & get that thing running so your friends can put shoe polish, paper streamers and tin cans all over it.....
Just wrapped up the park issue. I’d say the rod was just a little tweaked. But I haven’t had my eyes checked in a while works flawlessly now. I’ll test drive it tomorrow

78E7F299-CDF3-48A5-90CC-B063E9BDA05F.jpeg

Just wrapped up the park issue. I’d say the rod was just a little tweaked. But I haven’t had my eyes checked in a while works flawlessly now. I’ll test drive it tomorrow

View attachment 1150821

Holy ****!! I'm guessing park didn't work so good before either..... That or you used allot of BFSI putting the tail shaft on...... (BFSI = Brute Force & Sheer Ignorance). And I doubt the later is the case...

Holy ****!! I'm guessing park didn't work so good before either..... That or you used allot of BFSI putting the tail shaft on...... (BFSI = Brute Force & Sheer Ignorance). And I doubt the later is the case...
That’s the beauty of this old girl. She sat so long no one can remember.

Auto Transport Service
Back