• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

71 Charger 727 parking pawl engagement

Bearavo

Local time
6:21 PM
Reaction score
Hello everyone, been a while. So my wedding is fast approaching (three weeks) and my car is nearly ready.
My issue it that to convert from column to floor slap shifter I needed to replace the extension housing on my 727 torqueflite. Now park doesn’t hold the car. When I roll it I can hear the pawl clicking against the gear, so I’ve adjusted the shift linkage. if it’s on stands all is well. But on my road test on incline and decline, it won’t hold the car. Is there a longer rod I need or is my adjustment totally jacked up? Any help appreciated.

Hello everyone, been a while. So my wedding is fast approaching (three weeks) and my car is nearly ready.
My issue it that to convert from column to floor slap shifter I needed to replace the extension housing on my 727 torqueflite. Now park doesn’t hold the car. When I roll it I can hear the pawl clicking against the gear, so I’ve adjusted the shift linkage. if it’s on stands all is well. But on my road test on incline and decline, it won’t hold the car. Is there a longer rod I need or is my adjustment totally jacked up? Any help appreciated.
You got something out of wack. Never seen a different rod. I would look at the tailhousing. Was the guide in place with the snap ring?

07D31E42-C401-4319-85F3-3CFFC65A74F9.jpeg

Did you swap out the parking mechanism from your original extension housing? Perhaps some thing went wrong? The parking rods are all the same.
Mike

I didn’t have to swap park mechanisms, just the housing itself. It already had everything installed. The guid is in place with the ring. The dog moves freely and I can get park to engage (by turning drive shaft) on the stands. But once on the ground I can hear the dog grinding on the inner gear. I’ve gone back and forth on the adjustment probably a dozen times now and am at a total loss

Did you swap out the parking mechanism from your original extension housing? Perhaps some thing went wrong? The parking rods are all the same.
Mike
No the new to me housing had everything installed already. Everything inspected ok.

You got something out of wack. Never seen a different rod. I would look at the tailhousing. Was the guide in place with the snap ring?

View attachment 1149960
Yes the guide and snap ring are there. The dog and gear look good. The only thing I can think of is maybe the paw is bent or out of wack near the valve body.

Yes the guide and snap ring are there. The dog and gear look good. The only thing I can think of is maybe the paw is bent or out of wack near the valve body.
If it is bent you forced something when you put it together. Time to pull it back apart and find out whats wrong.

Try disconnecting the linkage & manually shift the trans into park.... Then put the car on the ground & see if park holds.... Is it possible you have a mismatched shifter/linkage? Post some pictures of what your working with...

Try disconnecting the linkage & manually shift the trans into park.... Then put the car on the ground & see if park holds.... Is it possible you have a mismatched shifter/linkage? Post some pictures of what your working with...
For all intents and purposes it’s a stock floor shifter. When I put the trans in park manually It holds just fine. The driveshaft stays put. Once on the ground it rolls freely.

For all intents and purposes it’s a stock floor shifter. When I put the trans in park manually It holds just fine. The driveshaft stays put. Once on the ground it rolls freely.

As I said, disconnect the linkage & try it... If it locks the output properly the problem is with the linkage... If it still rolls look inside the trans...

The park rod probably missed its slot and got jammed over the snap ring.
missed_slot.jpg

The park rod probably missed its slot and got jammed over the snap ring.View attachment 1150225
I thought the same thing. So I’ve just finished pulling the extension housing again and making sure everything is lined up correctly. Again all 4 corners on stands she locks up in park no issues. Then I adjusted the linkage to the Haynes manual specs, again everything is working as it should. Drop it on the ground and push in park CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK. The dog just bounces out of the gear on the output shaft. Pick everything up, adjust, set it down, no park. Tried disconnecting the linkage and it will not stay in park gear. It did before the driveshaft went in now it just pops out unless the dog and gear are lined up.

There is no good information out there as to what my troubles could be. Short of pulling the the dog that engages the gear and welding onto the tip to extend it I’m out of ideas.

There is no good information out there as to what my troubles could be. Short of pulling the the dog that engages the gear and welding onto the tip to extend it I’m out of ideas.

For the third time....

As I said, disconnect the linkage, put the car on the ground & try it... If it locks the output properly the problem is with the linkage... If it still rolls look inside the trans... .

I'm assuming you have the old tail shaft housing... compare the guide to the one in the replacement tail shaft...

It's really pretty simple.... If you want to throw up your arms & be defeated like a snowflake go ahead, if not man up and find the solution...

For the third time....

As I said, disconnect the linkage, put the car on the ground & try it... If it locks the output properly the problem is with the linkage... If it still rolls look inside the trans... .

I'm assuming you have the old tail shaft housing... compare the guide to the one in the replacement tail shaft...

It's really pretty simple.... If you want to throw up your arms & be defeated like a snowflake go ahead, if not man up and find the solution...
I came here looking for a solution. Not to be talked to like a child by a keyboard warrior. If anyone else has input I’d like to hear it if not I’ll figure it out.

For the third time....

Also in the above I did try leaving the linkage disconnected it doesn’t stay in park pops back as if under spring pressure, BUT, when the driveshaft was still out it operated fine.

Also in the above I did try leaving the linkage disconnected it doesn’t stay in park pops back as if under spring pressure, BUT, when the driveshaft was still out it operated fine.

Well then the problem is in the transmission not the linkage... As a said before if you have the old tail shaft housing compare them...

You don't want to be talked to like a child don't post a whiny post like...

"There is no good information out there as to what my troubles could be. Short of pulling the the dog that engages the gear and welding onto the tip to extend it I’m out of ideas."

Your getting more help from guys than anyone ever got twenty years ago.... And somehow we were always able to fix cars....

if not a linkage adjustment (does same with linkage disconnected) then maybe the park rod got bent?
The parking paw or parking hub? on the governor could have an issue where they are not locking into each other?
I haven't seen a governor/hub? ship on the output shaft, but who knows?

if not a linkage adjustment (does same with linkage disconnected) then maybe the park rod got bent?
The parking paw or parking hub? on the governor could have an issue where they are not locking into each other?
I haven't seen a governor/hub? ship on the output shaft, but who knows?

The park hub is splined to the output shaft, the governor isn't really important to park working....

I think the governor is bolted to the splined hub, and the governor rod goes through the output shaft, so it there was slippage on the hub, the governor rod would get destroyed too?

Auto Transport Service
Back