• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'71 Hemi Road Runner retro 70's build

Man this is a bad *** build.
Thanks giving me tons of ideas for my 73 Duster I droped a 440 in and trying to make a 70s street machine that looks to have be around the block a few times!

Any updates???

Haven't updated this post recently. Between getting my youngest son's Duster done, helping my 21 year old son build a 383 for his Dart along with the GTX project, the poor Road Runner has taken a back seat. No hemi install yet but we made the decision to take it on our annual 400 mile round trip to cruise our home town this year. That meant a month of long nights and weekends to fix the 15 years and 20,000 miles of wear and tear on the car. So over the last month it got:

New tranny seals, shift kit and deep pan
Weiand intake and a rebuild on the Edelbrock 750
New valve springs, retainers, locks and stem seals
Complete 3" exhaust w/Flowmasters (the old Purple Hornies were cool but made your ears bleed after about 20 miles!)
Header gaskets- Remflex gaskets are the way to go
Lower ball joints and 7/16" tierods and sleeves.
Replaced the rear brakelines
New Pro Trac N50 and 235/60 tires to replace the 30 year old ones on the car.
Complete change and flush of all fluids.

Couldn't have done it without the help from family and friends- Thank you

8235.jpg
8231.jpg
8234.jpg
8233.jpg

Finished the car Thursday night and left Saturday morning. No issues, managed to get almost 13 mpg. Had a great trip other than the fire smoke from our state burning up.

IMG_8597.jpg
IMG_8017.jpg

I had forgotten how much fun bias plies and 4.10 are. Here we are at 65 mph.

IMG_8016.jpg

The best comment I heard was that the car looked like it had been in storage since the 80's. Perfect.
Going to keep doing the little things as time allows to get ready for the 472 install.

8235.jpg 8231.jpg 8234.jpg 8233.jpg IMG_8597.jpg IMG_8017.jpg IMG_8016.jpg

Last edited:
How do you like the Coker pro tracs both the N50s and 235/60s? I have read many mixed reviews.
I was looking into these to put on my Duster with a set of Cragars. 15x10s and 15x7s
Currently have Indy profile n50s that need to be replaced

A couples of things on the Pro Tracs- they stiffen up the ride and it takes about 100 miles of driving before they don't feel so squirmy. Being an old guy that has driven on bias plys over the years, I know what to expect. They handle and stick good for what they are, but don't expect radial performance and handling from them. I just love the look of a bid fat square edged tire on a Mopar.

I really like your car. The stance, color, wheels, ALL of it. You nailed it brother.

Thank you, I'm watching your Challenger build-can't wait to see your progress. I graduated in '81 and don't think I've grown up or changed my taste in cars much since.

That's probably why I like your car. I graduated a year behind you. Back in the day your choice of wheels was the norm.

Like you I haven't changed much either with my likes.

Now if you look at my eyes, hair and mid section, they have changed ...... LOL

- - - Updated - - -

image.jpgimage.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Here are some old pictures of my Challenger from back in the day. Notice the wheels / tire combo. As you remember this was the accepted norm back then.

Thanks for watching my Challenger build. Hopefully soon I can get cracking on it again and post up some progress / work photos instead of just parts.

image.jpg image.jpg

i'm lovin your build! I'm also going for the retro 70's inspired race car, I'm so close I can taste it :)

That brings back old times! I just took those rear louvers off my GTX. They may go back on. I'll have to post some pics of my Cuda back in 1980 with my Keystones and M50's in the rear with my Direct connection license plate. It's cool your re living our times. Good luck!

Reviving an old thread. So the Road Runner has been on hold for a few years. The 472 Hemi was requisitioned for the '68 Hemi GTX. A few other none car projects have gotten in the way in the interim and the 383 in the car lost compression on two cylinders. I can't complain I have been driving the wheels off a basicallly stock 383 for 16 years. Well I'm missing driving it and as fate would have it, a complete 493 stroker lower end popped up on Craigslist. So.. We are diving back into the '71 build this winter.
WP_20180916_10_43_50_Pro.jpg

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back