• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

71 mid length pistol grip use

70chall440

Local time
10:31 AM
Reaction score
Is anyone using the mid length pistol grip (71+ B body bench seat or buckets with buddy seat) in the rear (behind the torsion bar cross member) position?

Here is the situation, I am building a 71 Charger and the PO set the car up to take the forward mount shifter/PG because he was going to run a bench seat. I want to run buckets with a buddy seat. I am going to be installing a TKX trans (which I already have) which puts the shifter in the rear position and uses the short (think E body) PG shifter handle. The make a trans that will put the shifter in forward most position such as you would find with a 70 B body (or A body), but this is too forward for a 71+ B body.

For those unfamiliar with this situation, Mopar used essentially 3 shifter mounting positions in its 60 & 70s cars, the forward most position was used in B bodies up to 70 and A bodies. The rear position came around in 70 and was used for the E bodies. In 71 they used what is called a "dog bone" mount which attaches to the transmission in front position but moves the shifter back about 5", out 3" and up about 1.5".

I have looked at a lot of pictures of various 71+ Chargers and have seen a few that it appears that either the short shifter is being used in the forward position or the other way around. I am not sure what I am going to do really, I can configure the trans I have now to mount a shifter forward but I don't know that I can get it where I want it, or I can just use the rear position like everyone and reconfigure the car itself.

I am interested to see pictures of 71 B body floors with the rear shifter position (I'd like to see how the hump is installed), also I'd like to hear from anyone that might be using the mid height PG in the rear position.

IMG_6547.jpg

IMG_6548.jpg

IMG_6550.jpg

IMG_6551.jpg

p3180248.jpg

You never asked but this is the rear (same as E-body) shifter mounting with the seat in the rearward position.

650hpproject 055.jpg

I think it would work. The shifter would move back 6 inches or so. The only thing is will the height clear the buddy seat since the shifter position is lower.

IMG_2809.jpg

Thanks for that pic, it shows me that the mid length would work if I mounted the buddy seat rearward just a little but as you say it remains to be seen how it would feel when using it. I guess what I need to do it mock it all up which will take a bit of work. I think I will need to remove the hump that is in there regardless.

I am going to cut out the hump in the car, then mock it up and see what is what.

Is anyone using the mid length pistol grip (71+ B body bench seat or buckets with buddy seat) in the rear (behind the torsion bar cross member) position?

Here is the situation, I am building a 71 Charger and the PO set the car up to take the forward mount shifter/PG because he was going to run a bench seat. I want to run buckets with a buddy seat. I am going to be installing a TKX trans (which I already have) which puts the shifter in the rear position and uses the short (think E body) PG shifter handle. The make a trans that will put the shifter in forward most position such as you would find with a 70 B body (or A body), but this is too forward for a 71+ B body.

For those unfamiliar with this situation, Mopar used essentially 3 shifter mounting positions in its 60 & 70s cars, the forward most position was used in B bodies up to 70 and A bodies. The rear position came around in 70 and was used for the E bodies. In 71 they used what is called a "dog bone" mount which attaches to the transmission in front position but moves the shifter back about 5", out 3" and up about 1.5".

I have looked at a lot of pictures of various 71+ Chargers and have seen a few that it appears that either the short shifter is being used in the forward position or the other way around. I am not sure what I am going to do really, I can configure the trans I have now to mount a shifter forward but I don't know that I can get it where I want it, or I can just use the rear position like everyone and reconfigure the car itself.

I am interested to see pictures of 71 B body floors with the rear shifter position (I'd like to see how the hump is installed), also I'd like to hear from anyone that might be using the mid height PG in the rear position.

View attachment 1394837

View attachment 1394838

View attachment 1394839

View attachment 1394840

View attachment 1394847
'71 charger interior finish 4.jpg
It helps if you have longer legs which pushes the seat back a little further. I love it.

Auto Transport Service
Back