• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

71 Super Bee Hood Options

nstyle73

Local time
3:37 AM
Reaction score
I have seen the air grabber hood and the Super Bee insert hood, but did any of the 71's actually come with just the bulge hood? I have now heard at least 3 guys spouting that jibberish and I was wondering if I was just assuming things. I never actually opened my mouth to argue the fact as I don't know, and don't have access to option codes to know. One guy was even buying a power bulge hood from me to replace his original hood on his Super Bee as he knew that is what it came with. Should I be drinking his Cool - Aid?

Mine came with the air grabber hood. I don't recall if it was an option or not.

There was no "power bulge" hood available in 71 for a Charger
There was the standard flat hood, R/T hood, Super Bee hood, and Ramcharger hood.
The R/T and Super bee hoods are the same, with different inserts.
Air-Grabber's are for Plymouths

AG's and Ramchargers are the same hood for this purpose, no matter their marketing lingo. But, that is just as I suspected.

i found this in another web site discussion, it seems accurate to me. i have a 71 Charger 500 that i put a 73 bulge hood on soley based on the funds availble at the time.

1971 Charger hoods, three used
3482 018 Flat hood used on most models
3482 535 "Power Bulge" hood used on R/T and SuperBee models, w/inserts * (one year only)
3482 471 "Power Bulge" hood w/fresh air induction, "Ram Charger" hood * (R/T and SuperBee only, standard w/Hemi)
* - Power Bulge hoods with continuous vents or with a center gap can be considered correct.

1972 Charger hoods, three used
3482 018 Flat hood used on most models
3482 471 "Power Bulge" hood w/fresh air induction, only avail. w/Rallye pkg. A57 *#
3611 212 Used on WH23, "Sport Hood"
* - Power Bulge hoods with continuous vents or with a center gap can be considered correct.
# - Replacement Power Bulge Ram Charger hoods have been found with 73 style vents and the 3482471 part number stamped.

1973 Charger hoods, two used
3684 033 Flat hood used on most models
3684 031 "Sport Hood" (power bulge) *
* - The vents were reduced in length and had a larger center gap in 73.

1974 Charger hoods, two used
3752 174 Flat hood used on most models
3752 473 "Sport Hood" (power bulge) *
* - In 74, the hood vents were eliminated completely.

I believe all the power bulge hoods in 1971 had engine call-outs on both port and starboard and only appeared on the R/T and SuperBee.

The gap between the vents (1971 models) has been an on going topic of 'discussion'. As far as I know, there are only two variations. One, a continuous row of vent opening across the back of the hood panel and two, two sets of vent opening separated by a 'gap' of unvented hood panel. There have been assertions that the width of this 'gap' also varies.

The contention is primarily regarding when hoods with the 'continuous' vents were replaced with hoods with the 'gap' or vice vesa. My personal opinion is that it is more likely due to which plant manufactured the panel.

I am looking for Superbee hood fair price I will buy now
and roof skin
and two front fenders

thank you

What would this hood be called. It came on a 71 super bee.
20210523_160207.jpg
20210523_160140.jpg

Cool thank you .I though at first that was a dume question. And thankx for all of the other good information.it helps a lot

Does this insert have a gasket that went in between the hood and the insert ? Are just insert to hood.

I am looking for Superbee hood fair price I will buy now
and roof skin
and two front fenders

thank you
I have a Power Bulge hood available that I took off my 72 Rallye. Good condition. I'm replacing it with an air grabber setup.

Was the louvered hood an option on the 71 super bee?

R/T Louvered Insert was not an option on the 71 SuperBee - However with the standard hoods being the same , the inserts where easily interchangeable

Adding for reference....71 Bee hood
20210924_133038.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back