• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

71auto column shift steering column help

rrTor-Red

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:54 PM
Reaction score
Restoring my column. Have it tore apart, painted, and all new parts. I went to put it back together and the section that has the gear selector and the other on top, don't match good. There's too wide of a gap around part of it. So I took it all back apart, looked at evetything, put it back together, same thing :(. I followed the manual. Has anyone have this problem or know what's going on? I gave up because it was getting late. Thanks!

I changed mine over to a floor shift, maybe post a photo. Take a look at the shift bracket that mounts to the back of the collar that puts the selector for park, rev, new and low in the right positions if its not mounted right it could be throwing you off.

I changed mine over to a floor shift, maybe post a photo. Take a look at the shift bracket that mounts to the back of the collar that puts the selector for park, rev, new and low in the right positions if its not mounted right it could be throwing you off.

We looked at that too when we ti re it back apart. Even looked to see if there was a wire jammed in somewhere to prevent the halves from coming together. It all looked good. IDK

Great to see a pic or two to see what you are up against. What manual did you follow? Cause there is a good teardown and rebuild on the web if I can find it. Sorry, was one for the cuda not a column shift.

Last edited:
Great to see a pic or two to see what you are up against. What manual did you follow? Cause there is a good teardown and rebuild on the web if I can find it. Sorry, was one for the cuda not a column shift.

Sorry, took it back apart. Since it didn't fit right the second time and time wise, left it for now till I'm able to get back and look at it again. Sorry

Auto Transport Service
Back