• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

72 charger no brake lights

jprather

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:42 AM
Reaction score
where to start.. I have power into and out of brake light switch, replaced turn signal switch, i have taill ights and turn signals but no brake lights or 4 way flashers, ehat am I missing ?

I know this is a dumb question but filaments good? Just asking

yes, used power probe at tail light connection in trunk, bulbs are good

Sorry I wasn't much help but seems I had this issue once and mine was bulbs for some reason. Others will chime in and get you going. Good luck brother

Hey J, did a search and what about some metal dust or shaving ground the switch under the steering wheel? Not the turn signal but that other plastic junction with the wires

i pulled the steering wheel last night, will blow everything out good and try it, last ( and only ) time i drive it there was a small "puff" of white smoke that came from the steer wheel/steering column area

i dont see anything, really hoping its not down inside the column, I need to figure out what wire goes from brake light switch to turn signal swith

i dont see anything, really hoping its not down inside the column, I need to figure out what wire goes from brake light switch to turn signal swith
Well if you tested the wires at the brake switch you should know what color feeds the turn signal switch.

Well hoping for ya it's close to the exit of the column. Coulda chaffed something there and shoes hit it. I'm sure you'll get

the turn signal switch has the harness on it that runs all the way to bottom of the column, i just have it plugged in, not in the column yet, does the brake light feed run through the column seperate or should it be in the hasness attached to the new switch >?

I'm pretty sure on my 70 (NOS box and assembly) it's all one

ok, that helps, the signal for brake lights SHOULD run on same wire as turn signals, correct ?

if the 4 way flasher unit is bad, would that stop brake lights and 4 ways ?

I would say yes but don't want you mad at me if something goes wrong

Flasher I'd say yes to. Pull it out and no go. From my experience when they went bad the signal was slow or weak or dead

Id say yes. Remember the flasher pulses the signal from constant to pulse

Auto Transport Service
Back