• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

72 charger no brake lights

if im not mistaken, there are 2 flasher units, 1 for turn signal and 1 for 4 ways

if im not mistaken, there are 2 flasher units, 1 for turn signal and 1 for 4 ways
Yes but if I remember 71-74 one is on the fuse block. My 70 has 2 isolated from the box and in 70 turn signal has gas fuse inline

About brake lights issue.

White wire coming into the turning switch comes from brake pedal switch. It should be feeding dark green and brown wires running out throught the same harness while switch is in rest position.

Hazzards takes its source from pink wire on same column harness which comes from hazzard flasher. Once hazzard is activated power it runs ( being blinked by the flasher ) to all 4 corners which are light and dark green wires for one side ( front and rear ), tan and brown wires to the other side ( also front and rear respectivelly ). This deactivates the brake light function, making the white wire source coming from brake pedal switch going to nowhere even still being hot when giving brakes.

If you get turning lights it means wiring and lights are good, so the culprit is still om turning switch itself... or flasher and brake pedal switch ( or related wires ) as the sources not sourcing the turning switch

Not seeing anything here about checking the one fuse (labeled Hazard/Stop) that supplies power to both the brake light switch and the 4-way flasher. Have you verified un-switched power to those devices?

Not seeing anything here about checking the one fuse (labeled Hazard/Stop) that supplies power to both the brake light switch and the 4-way flasher. Have you verified un-switched power to those devices?
thanks, yes I have power there, fuse is good, 12 v @ pink wire

ok, I have power to the pink wire at the top of the switch, with the new switch,and the old, 4 ways work IF i turn on turn signal, then go out after i cancel turn signal.. i did notice,if you put on turn signals, the left dash indicator flashes with turn signal, no matter if L or R signal is on, the right indicator does nothing, but still no brake lights

I have swapped out both, no change

To be clear, swapped out both flasher units and the turn signal switch behind steering wheel

To be clear, swapped out both flasher units and the turn signal switch behind steering wheel
Did you replace the complete switch with the harness going to the base of the column?

well, this aint good, I left my son alone for 30 mins to go eat, this is what i found when i returned !

20220810_191425.jpg

well, i dont know why i didnt think of this, gonna plug the new turn signal switch into my 72 satty to see if it works there, i guess there is a chance i got a bad one?

ok, now i am really confussed.. was checking feed, I have continuous power to the pink, nut when i pull the 4 way flasher it goes from 12.5 v to a ground and still no brake light or 4 way, i feed power through the plug at the end and have lights that way, i took the plug nd plugged it in to my satty and all work, I was messing with some wires and out of no where i had 4 ways, just for 3 or 4 flashes, then nothing ?

when i use the power probe, it shows 12 v on pink, but if i put a test light to pink wire it wont light up the test light and reverts to a groung ???

Pink at turning switch must be hot allways. It comes from hazzard flasher. It cuts the power to blink when gets the bulbs load as soon you turn on hazzards. It gets cold and hot with the bulbs load opening and closing the circuit and that is what it makes to blink the system

Same about turnings coming from red wire BUT just hot with key in ACC or RUN. Hazzards comes from Batt source.

Pink at turning switch must be hot allways. It comes from hazzard flasher. It cuts the power to blink when gets the bulbs load as soon you turn on hazzards. It gets cold and hot with the bulbs load opening and closing the circuit and that is what it makes to blink the system

Same about turnings coming from red wire BUT just hot with key in ACC or RUN. Hazzards comes from Batt source.
im not sure where to look next, new turn signal switch, new flasher units ( both) verified power from brake light switch, i just dont know what to due next, everything says they should work

im not sure where to look next, new turn signal switch, new flasher units ( both) verified power from brake light switch, i just dont know what to due next, everything says they should work
Have you pulled a schematic? It is not a complex system. The schematic is in the body manual. They are around online. Have you unplugged the connector in the trunk and see if power is getting to the connector from switch and then take a 9 volt and put power to the brake light circuit going into the taillights.
Could be a bulkhead connection. You can't trouble shoot electric systems without a schematic.

Service Manuals – MyMopar

yes, i have a schematic, i am not getting any power at pigtail in back ( trunk ) if i unplug the turn signal swith and use power probe to send power throught direct, i have brake lights

yes, i have a schematic, i am not getting any power at pigtail in back ( trunk ) if i unplug the turn signal swith and use power probe to send power throught direct, i have brake lights
OK so the issue is between there and the switch on the brake pedal. After looking at the schematic it is in the column probably turn signal switch or the wiring going in or out. This issue is irritating since you have to disassemble half the dash to find the cause. Good luck.

Here is a thread from earlier similar issue.

No brake lights or rear hazards

Auto Transport Service
Back