• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

72 coronet with 318, transmission options to replace 727

Schneiderman

Local time
10:01 AM
Reaction score
At this point I'm just gathering info, thinking about different possibilities, not looking to buy yet and not asking how to fix my current tranny. The 727 in my 72 coronet seems to be developing some problems and eventually I will have to fix it or replace it. Realistically, I will probably end up fixing it, but I'm curious to see if there are other options for replacement that can be found used for cheap.

I would love to have more gears and/or an overdrive, the car doesn't see a lot of miles but when I use it, it's usually on the highway.

I also think I would be fine with a 904 or something along those lines, I have heard they take less power to run so I would get more power to the wheels and maybe even a small boost to gas mileage.

I really don't know much about transmission options so that's what I'm here to ask: if I wanted to change to a transmission more suited to efficiency what could I do? Keep in mind I have limited funds so I would be looking for something used, reasonably available and fairly inexpensive.

Any O.D. will NOT be cheap. Also, changing to a 904 would mean changing your driveshaft as well. Again, not cheap.

Fix what you've got

Any O.D. will NOT be cheap. Also, changing to a 904 would mean changing your driveshaft as well. Again, not cheap.

Fix what you've got
agreed!
putting an OD in will require quite a bit of mods not much room in the tunnel need to fabricate a cross member

I can do a stock rebuild for you for under 500.00 plus converter
if there is no hard part damage and it's just paper rubber and clutches a little less
depending on where you are on the island I am hour north of GWB

You might get a tad more efficiency with a mid-eighties lockup converter trans.

I'd like to see any numbers from someone who has run both behind the same engine, though.

There has to be something to it, as all new ones are lockups, as far as I know.

No O/D, but keeps the converter from slipping at high speeds, hence 100% 1:1.

Schneiderm, I'm getting 20 mpg on the interstate with my '72 Coronet 318 which is even a little better than I'm getting with my '01 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 4.0 Six!

The only thing I would think of doing is replacing the trans if it went. Check Craigslist. I saw a 904 out there recently for $100. The 4 drs aren't worth putting a whole lot of dough into.

Also, the 318s came with the 904.

Auto Transport Service
Back