• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

72 satellite 727 swap

Ben Bolles

Local time
7:40 PM
Reaction score
I have a 72 satellite with a 318 and 904, i would like to put a 727 in it. First off how hard is the swap? Second witch is better tci or b&m. Third would it be more cost effective to get a used 727 and have a local shop rebuild it or even take a stab at it myself. I'm kinda stumped and need some advice so I don't waste my time and money any thing helps thanks

Last edited:
I have not done this swap myself, but as long as you have a small block A727 (or 727A), then it can be done if you're pretty mechanical. It's not a direct bolt-in swap though... I'd "guess" flex plate, driveshaft, kickdown linkage, u-joint differences....just a guess. If the car is hot-rodded or raced, then it's probably a good move. For a stock 318, I personally would just replace the A904...or maybe look for a A994 (I think those are truck/van/police versions of A904)..... again, I'm half guessing here, so don't take my word for this.

second the 998-999 late model version
They used them in PD with 360 plenty strong, lighter, less drag ,
or think about a 518
B-M or TDI-- neither
I have a 68 318 with 727 thinking of OD
What you get with the 727 is not the strength it's the duty cycles- durability like a 6 cyl taxi or PD but they changed the taxi to 999 in mid 80s
what are your goals, needs, what's the problem man?
you could also go lock up without the OD very easily 86 and later core

Well in the end I want to make it a auto course styled car. I would live 500 wheel horse but 350 whp is more realistic for my budget and wanting to keep it's 318. There's nothing really wrong with it I mean it shifts awesomely and feels strong but I would like to be "hard" on it and know that my trans won't turn into a smoothie with a more powerful motor. So a i thought a 727 was the way to go. If I could make 904 reliably hold the power I would have 0 problem leaving in the car

I'd use the 904 as well. Plenty strong enough for that application. Good valve body, 4 plate front drum, deep pan and your done. Options: low gear set available in factory parts, late model style flat hub converter and pump, multi spring front drum conversion.
Doug

Put a transgo TF 2 reprogramming kit in it and be happy
add a 100 plate and fin cooler with 1/2 inch lines
350 hp 318 is a high horsepower low low end build
not for 323 gears and stock converter or for a daily driver that looks like a road racer
best budget option would be to find a take out 360 magnum truck motor and swap the whole thing- buy a wreck complete- something like that
you can spend a lot of money on a 318 and not get to where you want to be
1 5/8- 1-3/4 headers ok
oem 4bbl and manifold ok- get the trans linkage FIRST
do a compression check and post back
cheers

Agree with doug
Just get a late V8 360 A 999 Core- It will have all the good parts
remember that we drag racers put 904 guts in 727 cases for "stock" not a problem - less rotating weight
I do the same thing with AMC but have to take the Chrysler A999 guts out and put them in the AMC case
AMC PD cars had the good trans too but hard to find
I sold a whole fleet of them to the National Park Service Police -- Matador 4 door 401 with 727 and 360 motors had the small trans- very little warranty work
Also sold Penske Javelins and 2 door Matadors to Hertz- I speced the HD trans for both these builds

Auto Transport Service
Back