• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

72 satellite- no brake lights or hazzard

bwolfgti

Local time
11:05 AM
Reaction score
Fixing up my 72 satellite and trying to figure out why the brake lights won't work. I have taillights, and the right turn signal blinks but the left just stays on. Feels like something wrong in the signal switch. All the other lights work also. Just no brake lights or hazzard. Any ideas? thanks

My guess would be your turn signal switch. Your brake lights run through it. I would check the easy stuff first like fuses, grounds, brake switch, flashers but really sounds like the directional switch is shot.

My guess would be your turn signal switch. Your brake lights run through it. I would check the easy stuff first like fuses, grounds, brake switch, flashers but really sounds like the directional switch is shot.
Yea i took it apart last nite and after messing with the switch the lights would work. I ordered a new switch for it so it should be all good. Also took the alternator off to get tested and that was bad so i replaced that too.

got the part in and everything works like it should. Another question though, if a fender mount signal bulb is burnt out, will that keep the blinker from flashing?

I don't have a 72' wiring diagram in front of me to examine the circut, but I can imagine it would be very similar to my 68 & 69. If it is, a burnt out bulb in a fender mounted turn signal indicator would not stop the flasher from flashing. Did you check the flasher? Your grounds?

I took it out for a drive tonite and it does flash i guess. Just a little slower than the right signal.

I took it out for a drive tonite and it does flash i guess. Just a little slower than the right signal.

Hmmmm Interesting. Sounds like you have some added resistance/impedance obviously. I'd check to make sure you have nice clean grounds

X2. Check grounds. I give this advice all the time. In DC, if it dont work, check power. If it works weird, check ground. I'm an electrician, and a ground problem with DC is one of the most frustrating things there is. Case in point, when you open the trunk of my 01 Sebring when the motor is running, the fuel pump slows down, fuel gauge stops working, reverse lamps come on, front park lights come on, engine runs like **** due to low fuel pressure. That is the kind of crazy **** that a bad ground can cause!

Auto Transport Service
Back