• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

72 SSP vinyl top trim removal

jprather

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:57 PM
Reaction score
ok , i need some experts opinions, finally getting a new vinyl top put on my 72 SSP ( canopy top ) how do you remove the trim that runs across the middle of the roof? do i have to pull the headliner ???

nope

should slide straight out the side perpendicular to center line of car

should also seperate in the center

The middle few clips are held on by hat pins that are welded to the roof. The ones on the ends though have a nut under the headliner.

The middle few clips are held on by hat pins that are welded to the roof. The ones on the ends though have a nut under the headliner.

so the end clips go thru the roof and are nutted on from underneath.
i have to figure out what that clip looks like
as I'm thinking of adding that molding to my car.

Doing the same thing on my '72 because of some bubbling starting, wondering if anyone knows a link that gives step by step on vinyl top removal? I don't want to mess up the chrome trim as they are impossible to find, as I found out years ago trying to find side fender molding after a motorcycle plowed into me...don't get me started...thanks, and Happy Holidays everyone!

I don't see how you can remove the trim without unbolting the outer two molding clips from under the headliner. The center ones are plastic but with those bolt down outer still in place you'll scratch up the roof.
Ron

Auto Transport Service
Back