• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

727 at idle pretty rough in gear

i answered you there,and also,Nice Cuda !
Edit: you should be prepared to have your trans rebuilt...even after you get the linkage on and correct,theres Already been damage done.
I prepared for it but I've only driven it a few miles since I bought it and the owner just put it together. Poorly put together but its all new or rebuilt. So who knows.

The 727 is a pretty damn tough transmission and can handle considerable abuse, unlike some manufacturers (Ford automatics come to mind). May be ok once KD is adjusted right and a fluid/filter service. I hope it turns out in your favor. :thumbsup:

If the guy you bought the ride from just took the linkage off before you got it, could be the car wasn’t driven much without it. While not a complete indicator of the health of the trans, it is a fist look, check the fluid after the engine is at operating temperature. Look at the fluid color and smell it for any evidence of a burnt odor. Slide the wet dipstick across a white paper towel or wax paper and look for any evidence of grit. Once you have the linkage installed and adjusted, take it out and see if it is shifting at the correct shift points and such, starts out in 1st after stopping, etc. The rough idle part may be another matter as posted, some things you can check out. That old carb you mentioned could have been laying on a shelf for years with gummed up jets or floats...he decided to throw on the car needing a rebuild or getting another one.

Thanks Ron I'll definitely do all that. My plan is to find a CH4B or RB Iron intake and put an AVS2 on it as part of all this. This car came for a multi-million dollar collection so I know for certain the guy didn't drive it much. I'm not happy with the previous owner but I could tell he was strictly a "pay somebody" kind of guy.

..........The rough idle part may be another matter.....

That's my guess too. Don't expect the transmission linkage to fix your idle problem.

Basic rule of thumb for the linkage. At WOT the trans lever should be all the way rearward. At idle if you push the trans lever forward, the slotted portion of the linkage at the carb should touch the carb linage stud it slides on.
Does the car vibrate in reverse as well? If not you may have a portion of the drivetrain contacting the floor or frame. If it is just pulling the rpm down either the converter is to tight for the cam or the carb may need some tweeking.
Doug

OK taking a step back. Yes I'm missing ALL the topside linkage for the kickdown. The lower linkage to the transmission appears to be intact and connected. Here are more pics and the diagram from the 69 manual. Love to hear more about the kickdown function? Also note the angle of my throttle cable because of the manifold height

View attachment 1194564 View attachment 1194565 View attachment 1194566 View attachment 1194567
The bracket looks totally wrong to me. Here is a pix of my linkage bracket from my 71 bee 383HP w/holly carb.
DSCN4100[1].JPG

The bracket looks totally wrong to me. Here is a pix of my linkage bracket from my 71 bee 383HP w/holly carb.

They changed the design. My 71 Cuda was pretty much identical to the 68-69 B Body linkage. Here is a 6 pack 440 and the 69 service manual

kickdown-b.jpg Screen Shot 2019-06-21 at 15.59.52.png

Rough, noisy and vibrations in gear at idle (stop signs, lights scenario). To the point I'm inclided to put it in neutral but going back into first can create a thunk due to an inconsistent delay going into gear.

What to look at first? Fluids look good. Shifts pretty decently. This is my first 727 so please assume I know nothing since that is the case when it comes to automatics.

Just curious if you managed to get the rough, noisy & vibrations at idle solved?

Auto Transport Service
Back