• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine back fires and runs rough when in gear

bowtiedoc

Local time
12:34 AM
Reaction score
1969 Charger with fresh rebuilt 318, A904 transmission. Carb (2bbl) rebuilt, pertronix electronic ignition upgrade (coil does get full 12V). Idles nicely. When A/C kicks in, the motor responds well. Only have problem when in gear (D or R). Won't build up speed, back fires and just runs very rough. Put in N or P, idles good.

Vacuum at idle and when in gear is a steady 18 inches, oil pressure 70+

Ammeter always shows discharge, even with no accessories or lights on. With lights on, gauge shows major discharge. Had alternator tested and produces 12.8V on the bench.

I'm thinking the voltage regulator is not working, and the coil may not be getting a full 12V leading to the rough running.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks!

It could be low voltage & the condition/age of the battery could be suspect. Charging system needs to be fixed first.

Brand new battery. I have a new regulator on order and hope that fixes the issue.

Ahhhhhh, don't be so hard on him......
Might be a new convert, better late than never....

Easy to check the low voltage idea. Just put a battery charger on it. 10-25 amps will do, should get 14.5-15 volts. Put the charger under the hood. Have a helper hold the the cord away from the tires.

Start it up, get some heat in it, put it in gear, drive 20 feet, see how it runs.

I’m inclined to think vacuum leak or lean condition when they die in gear.

PS, another running bad problem with a pertronix ignition system.

Joey wants more members, you don't want to get fired?:rofl:
Bowtiedoc R413's post start there.

Easy to check the low voltage idea. Just put a battery charger on it. 10-25 amps will do, should get 14.5-15 volts. Put the charger under the hood. Have a helper hold the the cord away from the tires.

Start it up, get some heat in it, put it in gear, drive 20 feet, see how it runs.

I’m inclined to think vacuum leak or lean condition when they die in gear.

PS, another running bad problem with a pertronix ignition system.
And it probably isn't a Pertronix issue. There are other issues.

Auto Transport Service
Back