• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

727 deep trans fluid pan pickup

Then why do the good deep pans come with an extension? For looks?
Deeper pan, you put the pickup under the fluid, not on top of it. It ensures the pickup is always submerged during hard braking or acceleration.
This is a ridiculous argument that defies logic.
3 of Us who all have extensive knowledge in this area have given the reasons why it's not necessary. It would do no good for any of us to explain further if you are not willing/capable of reading the explanations and comprehending them.

We each have our own opinion. Kim
:rofl::rofl::rofl:
Screenshot_20211005-105022_Instagram.jpg

6" deep cup...2" long straw. Drink 3" milk. How much milk does the straw think is left ? What happens when you suck on the straw?
Since the dipstick is still the same length, how much fluid is actually in the transmission ? Only shows full or add.
Since the running level will vary it seems that like an oil pickup, you would like the actual pickup to be below the static fluid level at all times.(close to the bottom) especially if you did get a leak.
More reserve fluid before possible damage to internals.
The fluid will not be at different temperatures at the bottom of the pan and than at the top. The cooling effect is about the total fluid capacity not the fluid pick up location.
My transmission and my money is on an extended pickup to put the filter at the bottom. To the "experts" What does it hurt ?
Actually you will probably get more benefit from an external cooler in addition to the pan.
I guess these guys just don't know...
http://www.aandatrans.com/Departments/Chrysler-727-Trans/Pans.aspx

Last edited:
Hey, if you want to run a deep 727 pan without a filter extension, OK by me. I'm not running it or putting my name on the results.

Did you call Source and ask what would work with it? Measure the pan depth, lots of options out there.

Thanks to everyone for a great discussion, that's why I love the site. I did call 440 source today and the tech line indicated that the extension is not required but you can definitely run one for the 727. If you would like to run it, they suggested Derale: Derale Cooling Products 14010 Derale Transmission Filter Extensions | Summit Racing

I'll probably run the derale piece because it's pretty inexpensive and easily ordered at summit, cheap insurance.

to kimmer's point, the derale is shown for rock crawling applications so normal running (all four wheels on the ground) should not be an issue. all bets are off for those of you running with two back wheels on the ground (..drags)

I run deep transmission pans on my 727's so there is extra room for the torque converter to drain back into when the cars sit for a while. I use the filter extension length to make new "Full" and "Add" marks lower on the dip stick with a small drill hole. I have found that this greatly reduced transmission fluid leaks on my cars.

I run deep transmission pans on my 727's so there is extra room for the torque converter to drain back into when the cars sit for a while. I use the filter extension length to make new "Full" and "Add" marks lower on the dip stick with a small drill hole. I have found that this greatly reduced transmission fluid leaks on my cars.
We think alike LOL!! Had several cars and trucks that the converter would leak back after just a few days of non use and the seal that usually leaked was the shifter seal! Used to run one car up on ramps just on the left side to keep it from making a huge mess on my shop floor until I could fix it. That dang thing was bad and it only had 40k miles on the factory crap.....and if I have a filter extension I'll throw it on but if not and it's not a rock crawler, I don't worry about it. I also run my transmissions to the full line if not just a hair above it. Also hate running my oil level lower than the full mark too.

Auto Transport Service
Back