• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

727 expert advise needed kick down and down shift problems

65coronet70dart

Local time
3:00 AM
Reaction score
Ok guys so on my 65 dodge coronet I have a 727 a in it and I adjusted everything by the book and I still can't get the kick down gear to work, when you get on the gas it's supposed to down shift to get you moving, also when your in drive and coming to a stop it doesn't automatically downshift. All the gears work at all times when you manually select them, what's going on? what adjustments do I need to make.

It's not a stock carb is it?

It is important to know. There are rarely times when your stock setup for the 727 will work with aftermarket intakes and carbs.

a 3rd to 2nd downshift is all you get on pre 71 transmissions as memory serves.

its a full throttle downshift too...so it requires a serious smash to get it to happen....with i always hated. you can convert any 70 and older trans to a part throttle kickdown with just the addition of the of the part throttle shuttle valve and housing. i used to get those for free at the Dodge dealer i worked at in the 1990s. mostly off of the 80s to 1993 model year pickups...but i digress.

sometimes you have to examine you set up carefully if you have aftermarket parts installed as stated above.

with the linkage removed from the carb. push the rod toward the firewall to max it out. then the next thing is to determine if it is moving the throttle valve enough, or if the linkage is hitting something, or not moving enough and make the necessary adjustment which may require swaping out kickdown rods or end links to make it happen.

I always thought the 727 can kick down from 2 to 1 as well as 3 to 2? And as mentor70 says it is foot to the floor to work. There is no vacuum involved with kickdown on a 727. It's all about that lever.

Everything is stock, fresh rebuild on the 318, stock cast iron intake manifold, two barrel holly carb which I believe is stock it's a remanufactured. I'm starting to think more and more it's just time for a rebuild...last trans fluid and filter change there was more than normal black grey residue, very small amount of fine metal flakes...I think someone might have put a shift kit in it because when it did shift it shifts hard and quick, everything works when I manually shift up and down, but none of the automatic features work, full throttle smash doesn't kick down, hwy down to a stop I can't feel it downshift at all, what are your guys thoughts? I'm not sure how many miles are on it? What's best to do, rebuild myself, have a trans shop do it, or get a replacement trans, there seems to be alot of them online

- - - Updated - - -

I have had the car for 12 years, and few years ago everything worked great

Your call on that. It's not too bad overhauling one yourself. Just takes time, cleaning, and replacing parts as needed.
Including all the modifications I did on mine, $250-275 caught all mine, and that includes the $100 I paid for the tranny itself!

If your saying metal flakes, something in it is trying to go away. All the pistons in the shifter body run real close clearances, and it doesn't take too many 'flakes' to hang them up...no worky.

Even if your kick-down rod/lever are adjusted right...if the piston in the shifter body is hung up...guess what?

Auto Transport Service
Back