• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

727 not shifting through gears

josephqatarcarguy

Local time
12:57 PM
Reaction score
Hey guys , just bought a new car with a 440 mated to a 727 , the car drives but dosent go through the gears , feels like its stuck in second or first, dosent shift manually too , it's got a aftermarket B&M pistol grip cable operated Pro shifter too , where should I check

Screenshot_20230517_130022_Photos.jpg
Screenshot_20230517_130032_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20230517_130028_Photos.jpg

It looks like you have a manual valve body. Is the shift pattern normal: PRND21 or reverse pattern: PRN12D? If it is a MVB you have to select every gear manually, of course but, if not and it has no throttle linkage, the trans is probably "toast".
Mike

It looks like you have a manual valve body. Is the shift pattern normal: PRND21 or reverse pattern: PRN12D? If it is a MVB you have to select every gear manually, of course but, if not and it has no throttle linkage, the trans is probably "toast".
Mike
I am not sure , I can't manually swift gears too , it's stuck in 1 gear ..1st or second...... how do I check the valve body ...it says on the shifter its PRND21

Look closely at the cable where it get too close to the headers.... many times the sheath is melted and the inner cable is popping out and not shifting the trans.

Look closely at the cable where it get too close to the headers.... many times the sheath is melted and the inner cable is popping out and not shifting the trans.
From what I can see it has no kickdown cable. So it most likely is a manual valvebody. If it is supposed to have a kickdown cable and does not it will shift quick, and it is really hard on the clutches no line rise. If the governor is sticking when you back off the throttle when it won't shift the engine will drop to idle. If it is a problem with a shift valve sticking in the valvebody usually it will pull the engine down when it won't shift, and you let off the gas, called engine braking. Best way is to hook up a pressure gauge, Chrysler did a good job of giving pressure test points.
Chrysler A727, A904 Pressure Ports

I am not sure , I can't manually swift gears too , it's stuck in 1 gear ..1st or second...... how do I check the valve body ...it says on the shifter its PRND21
You might want to read up on that shifter as to how it needs to be operated.

Will a overly long cable cause this issue? The cable on her is way too long

I doubt it. What exact shifter do you have? Picture? Most of these shifters do not shift like a normal stock shifter.
It's a B&M pro stick shifter , the cable is way to long , its routed around the transmission once and then to the shift lever , I can manually shift the lever to all gears by hand

Screenshot_20230517_170126_Chrome.jpg

With the car off, get under it and have someone operate the shifter through all the gears. Does the trans lever move as it should?

It is an Edelbrock, so y ou might need to adjust the length of the cable so it will shift and kickdown. E sells an adapter, i made my own with a 1/4x24 tpi rod and turnbuckle. shifts fine now.

It is an Edelbrock, so y ou might need to adjust the length of the cable so it will shift and kickdown. E sells an adapter, i made my own with a 1/4x24 tpi rod and turnbuckle. shifts fine now.
Did you look at his pictures. There is no kick down with a manual valve body.

Auto Transport Service
Back