• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

727 push button shift cables

s5757s

Local time
7:03 PM
Reaction score
Building 64 Polara. Rb 440 big block. 1965 727 slip yoke transmission. Will the original shift cables be long enough with this combination ? Car was a 318 poly with push buttons on the dash.
If i need different cables where can I find them ?
Thanks

Yes but the rooster comb and manual valve need to be used from the 64 push button trans. 65 is different.
Doug

should be fine, mine were long enough going from 6cyl, to big block

Building 64 Polara. Rb 440 big block. 1965 727 slip yoke transmission. Will the original shift cables be long enough with this combination ? Car was a 318 poly with push buttons on the dash.
If i need different cables where can I find them ?
Thanks
The '64 push button cables will work on the '65 slip yoke trans. I put a '65 727 in my '64 Polara 500. Although it was console shift, original '64 cables worked fine.

The 64 floor shift and 65 valve body’s are in one group. The 62-64 push button valve body’s are in their own group. The length of the 64 cables will work. I run a 65 trans in my 64 racecar with the 64 push buttons. They will not work without modifying the 65 style valve body. The reciever riveted to the rooster comb is different. The shape of the ends of a 64 & 65 cable are different. The neutral switch’s are also different lengths. They can bind up or not touch if the wrong switch is used. You can’t just switch the rooster comb alone because the gap in the manual valve is a different width where the rooster comb fits between 64 & 65. It’s not a hard swap. Remove the E clip. Slide the rooster comp up. Don’t shoot the detent ball and clip. Slide the manual valve out. Take the 64 valve and slide it into the 65 valve body. Drop the rooster comp down over the detent and spring. Center it in the manual valve. Install a new throttle valve seal, washer, and E clip. Use the 64 neutral switch. Or just swap the entire 64 valve body in, if neither had a shift kit or something special. Either way use the 64 switch.
Doug

Last edited:
If you’re interested I have a new conversion kit that allows you to install a 66 and up transmission while still retaining the push buttons. All you need is a 66 - 67 speedometer cable to complete the switch. The kit contains the modified push button assembly, shift cable, cable bracket, tranny lever, new detent spring for the rooster comb and instructions. I’d take $500 plus shipping for it.

The 64 floor shift and 65 valve body’s are in one group. The 62-64 push button valve body’s are in their own group. The length of the 64 cables will work. I run a 65 trans in my 64 racecar with the 64 push buttons. They will not work without modifying the 65 style valve body. The reciever riveted to the rooster comb is different. The shape of the ends of a 64 & 65 cable are different. The neutral switch’s are also different lengths. They can bind up or not touch if the wrong switch is used. You can’t just switch the rooster comb alone because the gap in the manual valve is a different width where the rooster comb fits between 64 & 65. It’s not a hard swap. Remove the E clip. Slide the rooster comp up. Don’t shoot the detent ball and clip. Slide the manual valve out. Take the 64 valve and slide it into the 65 valve body. Drop the rooster comp down over the detent and spring. Center it in the manual valve. Install a new throttle valve seal, washer, and E clip. Use the 64 neutral switch. Or just swap the entire 64 valve body in, if neither had a shift kit or something special. Either way use the 64 switch.
Doug
What if I can source a 65 shift cable with the correct end on it ? Seems to me it would be alot easier to change just the cable if I can find one. Currently the trans is in my shop along with the completed dash just waiting on body/paint before install.

1965’s were never push button. They were either floor shift or column shift. On a column shift the linkage from the column went to a place on the firewall and connected to the cable that went to the transmission.

If you’re interested I have a new conversion kit that allows you to install a 66 and up transmission while still retaining the push buttons. All you need is a 66 - 67 speedometer cable to complete the switch. The kit contains the modified push button assembly, shift cable, cable bracket, tranny lever, new detent spring for the rooster comb and instructions. I’d take $500 plus shipping for it.
This is interesting - wasn't aware of this conversion available. I've kept a '65 trans for years as a possible swap out for my '63 if finding need to change someday.

This is interesting - wasn't aware of this conversion available. I've kept a '65 trans for years as a possible swap out for my '63 if finding need to change someday.
Imperial Services did these back in the day but I’m not sure that they still do them and if they do it takes months to get one done.

The conversions are poor at best. Either swap the entire valve body, 10 bolts. Or do the rooster comb/valve swaps mentioned in the earlier post. If you need help PM me.
Doug

The conversions are poor at best. Either swap the entire valve body, 10 bolts. Or do the rooster comb/valve swaps mentioned in the earlier post. If you need help PM me.
Doug
When I had the trans gone through it was converted to a reverse pattern manual valve body. I do still have the valve body from the original 318 poly/727 stock combo.
I tried to pm you and said mailbox full unless I did something wrong.
Thanks,

Dick
360 600 6467

1965’s were never push button. They were either floor shift or column shift. On a column shift the linkage from the column went to a place on the firewall and connected to the cable that went to the transmission.
The column from my 65:
Mike
IMG_1951.JPG

Are you referring to the later (post-65 trans) conversion for buttons?

This thread has me wondering what they did to the trans in my 62 Savoy.
It has a slip yoke trans using the 62 push buttons in stock location and reverse manual valve body

Ed

It wouldve been converted as I mention in post #6 to a 65 output shaft and tail shaft style trans. You can also swap the 65 tail shaft and tail housing into the 62-64 trans and get the same result. This is a good reason to keep and eye out for 65 Small block trans even if you have a 62-64 bug block. Big block and small block parts are all interchangable except the main case. . The difference is the bell housing bolt pattern.
Doug

^^^^ Yep and they made a ton of 'em hooked to the Poly 318.

Auto Transport Service
Back