• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

727 rear seal leak.

__Larsson____

Local time
4:09 AM
Reaction score
Is it a common problem that the rear seal leaks? Or do i have the wrong yoke?

16281774410407249981417500357521.jpg 20210805_164410.jpg

I would say seal leaks are not uncommon. Especially if the bushing or yoke have some wear and play it can wear out a seal quicker. And a pitted yoke surface will too. Pretty easy to replace the seal but I would check that the bushing and yoke are still tight and free of play.

When you took that picture was the car on a lift so the rear could hang or on the ground ?
Reason I ask is that yoke looks a little to far out from the trans. but if rear is hanging you are probably good
Do you have a different yoke , driveshaft , trans. than original ?
As AR67GTX stated above it could be any of those things mentioned.

I would say seal leaks are not uncommon. Especially if the bushing or yoke have some wear and play it can wear out a seal quicker. And a pitted yoke surface will too. Pretty easy to replace the seal but I would check that the bushing and yoke are still tight and free of play.
There is a play if i push the yoke up and down, does that tell me of a bad bushing then?

When you took that picture was the car on a lift so the rear could hang or on the ground ?
Reason I ask is that yoke looks a little to far out from the trans. but if rear is hanging you are probably good
Do you have a different yoke , driveshaft , trans. than original ?
As AR67GTX stated above it could be any of those things mentioned.
Yeah it is on a lift, hmm not what i know about, i think it is all original

tb2.jpg
With weigh on the wheels should be close to this. The end of tailshousing on left, blue is the metal lip of seal. This is to show how far main shaft comes out of tail housing
DS7.JPG

Last edited:
There is a play if i push the yoke up and down, does that tell me of a bad bushing then?

Generally yes, but you might want to re-check with the weight on the tires and the yoke shoved further in. If still any play it could be the bushing or a worn yoke, or both. As far as play, just about any that is perceivable is probably a sign of wear but as the play increases you can get a vibration and the play can beat out a seal fairly quick.

Hi all
Would this tool work on a
A904 Torgueflite.
I think the bushings are different
Sizes on a 727 and 904.
No, used a hose clamp to get it started. You might comtact the seller and ask about one for a 904. The tab at top is attached to a ring inside. You pull tab to pull ring up inside tool to install then push it forward before pulling bushing.

Come on guys. It only takes about 10 minutes to remove the tail shaft housing.
Doug

Yes, but when the less experienced of us dislodge the main cluster trying to get at the “C” clip securing the tail housing and lose a few needle rollers out of the input, it becomes a much bigger job.:rolleyes:

That’s on an A833. I guess he is asking about a 904. Can’t argue with the obvious there. Pull the tail housing.

Yes, but when the less experienced of us dislodge the main cluster trying to get at the “C” clip securing the tail housing and lose a few needle rollers out of the input, it becomes a much bigger job.:rolleyes:

There are no needle rollers between the input and the output shafts. The is a snap ring holding the planetary geartrain and output shaft as a unit. It can't pull apart. If you use internal flat snap ring pliers, the snap ring releases easily. Pull the speedo gear housing, 1 bolt, 2 screws in the snap ring cover plate, and 7 bolts holding the tail housing.
Doug

Yes, I know. When I first wrote that I had a 4 speed on my mind as I’m replacing the rear bushing in my 833 right now. But then, I remembered he had asked about a 904.

Auto Transport Service
Back