• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

727 reverse problem

Tkoboat

Local time
5:40 PM
Reaction score
I have 1965 727. If I shift from drive to reverse it feels like the parking brake is on. If I shift from park to reverse its fine. Also it does not manual shift at acceloration. It shifts very good in drive. Please help.
Thanks in advance.

I have 1965 727. If I shift from drive to reverse it feels like the parking brake is on. If I shift from park to reverse its fine. Also it does not manual shift at acceloration. It shifts very good in drive. Please help.
Thanks in advance.

Column shift? Could be the torque shaft bushing being destroyed or detente in the column not set right.

It's a cable shift. I did adjust and didn't help.

What do you mean by "won't manual shift"? There are 2 different style single pin neutral safety switch's. One has a white plastic plunger, one has a steel plunger. One is longer than the other and interferes with the rooster comb on the valve body. The threaded portion of the switch actually touches and can limit the movement of the rooster comb slightly.
Doug

What do you mean by "won't manual shift"? There are 2 different style single pin neutral safety switch's. One has a white plastic plunger, one has a steel plunger. One is longer than the other and interferes with the rooster comb on the valve body. The threaded portion of the switch actually touches and can limit the movement of the rooster comb slightly.
Doug
I will check that out Thanks a lot

If you're in Drive (but not moving) the transmission has engaged the Forward clutch. If you go into reverse from Drive that clutch has to disengage by a single piece conical spring at the same time the Low/Reverse band is applying. If you are in Park, the valve body doesn't let pressure through to any of the parts first. Just engages the Low/Reverse band. I think you may have an issue with that conical spring. Once the clutch is engaged (all forward gears) it doesn't disengage until you go into Park, Nuetral, or Reverse. So you probably wouldn't see any issue aside from what you're noticing.

If you're in Drive (but not moving) the transmission has engaged the Forward clutch. If you go into reverse from Drive that clutch has to disengage by a single piece conical spring at the same time the Low/Reverse band is applying. If you are in Park, the valve body doesn't let pressure through to any of the parts first. Just engages the Low/Reverse band. I think you may have an issue with that conical spring. Once the clutch is engaged (all forward gears) it doesn't disengage until you go into Park, Nuetral, or Reverse. So you probably wouldn't see any issue aside from what you're noticing.

Doug
If you try to shift manually from 1st to 2nd under hard exceloration it won't shift.

I think you're looking at a shift cable/rooster comb/shifter/safety switch issue. Pull the pan and watch while someone pushes the buttons. My bet is you'll see that it isn't moving as is should.
Doug

I think you're looking at a shift cable/rooster comb/shifter/safety switch issue. Pull the pan and watch while someone pushes the buttons. My bet is you'll see that it isn't moving as is should.
Doug
Thanks Doug!
Tim,

Auto Transport Service
Back