• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

727 Selector shaft lever removal

VitaminCRR

Local time
2:50 AM
Reaction score
69 Roadrunner 383. I'm trying to remove the valve body on my torque flite and I'm having a helluva time just getting the pinch clamps off the selector shaft levers. The plan was to replace the selector shaft seal. I've been reading posts, and people say how easy it is to get the valve body out. Not for me so far. I got the top pinch clamp bolt loosened but the lever isn't budging. There's barely enough room to get my hand up there to do anything. Any tips? Thanks in advance.

If you can get a large flat blade screwdriver in the slot where it's pinched you can carefully pry it apart a small amount, just enough to be able to slide it up on the shaft.

If you can get a large flat blade screwdriver in the slot where it's pinched you can carefully pry it apart a small amount, just enough to be able to slide it up on the shaft.
Yeah, I thought about that. Tough to see and tough to get my hands up there. (I'm laying on my back. Car on jack stands.) It's also covered in probably 50 years of grease. I guess the first thing might be to degrease everything up there.

It's possible to reach in from the engine compartment and reach a long screwdriver to the lever and spread the pinch area.

Pry the lever up with a screw driver between the two levers then repeat between the lower lever and case. You may have to alternate coming in from each side-back and forth.
Mike

I think I'll drop the exhaust pipe on that side, clean it up and continue from there. That should give me enough room to get my hand in there. Side note: the kick down linkage is hitting the exhaust down pipe. It isn't binding up or anything but it shouldn't be hitting the pipe. I don't know if that affects shift points or not but I'll have to run a pry bar up there and make a few dents in the pipe and see if anything changes.

Auto Transport Service
Back