• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

727 shift points

Huicho417

Local time
2:03 PM
Reaction score
I am looking into adjusting my kickdown linkage to correctly set my shift points on my 727. It all seems great but I feel like I’m just not there in the power response. In looking at my service manual it’s states that for my Coronet’s 318 V8 with 2.94 gears the shift points should be as follows:

Closed throttle
1-2 upshift at 7-12 mph
2-3 upshift at 12-17 mph

Wide Open throttle
1-2 upshift at 28-46mph
2-3 upshift at 67-79mph

Am I reading it correctly? Is closed throttle just regular acceleration and wide open throttle when I floor it? If so my 727 is waiting too long too shift. If I remember correctly from 1-2 at about 16 mph. Then 2-3 at about 28 mph. Then if I’m on the highway feels forced to get it to 70. Does this mean I need to lengthen the linkage to make the shift point quicker? I also did upgrade to a 4 bbl carb and not sure if that changed anything. I did however manage to get the correct linkage setup when I did the conversion.

2A6D0522-E46E-4F95-97E4-663730554C9D.png 01825D6A-0FF1-41C9-9B94-BBE35B201D50.jpeg

The slowest rate of acceleration is what you need for the lower range of shift points.
Mike

I would guess that your kickdown is not adjusted correct and the linkage is not pulling the lever through the full range. I would check that underneath the car with someone else in the car pushing the gas pedal.

Your up shift speeds at normal throttle are a little high. Closed throttle is your normal driving when leaving from a stop.
What do you mean by - on the highway feels forced to get it to 70 ?
Sounds like you need to adjust the kick down rod for sure.

Thank you for the responses. I adjusted this morning by lengthening out 4 turns and it does feel better. I will continue to lengthen until I get 1-2 at 10 mph and 2-3 at 15 mph.

You have the manual, follow the instructions there for checking the setting. You only have a little leeway from the “correct “ setting.

Well, I adjusted the rod that attaches to the carburetor. After several attempts while driving and pulling over I got it to shift from 1-2 at around 11 mph and 2-3 around 16 mph. Which is within the specs per the service manual. The results are amazing, feels like a different car that accelerates much faster and just seems to keep going on the highway. Thank you again for all the feedback.

Auto Transport Service
Back