• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

727 shift problem

Garys1969RR

Local time
5:10 PM
Reaction score
When I drive my 69 RR to the track, after a few runs it wont shift 2nd to 3rd after it gets hot. I have 2 trans oil coolers on it. If I tow it out, it works fine. Meep Meep said to adjust the kickdown band. I have read to tighten it to 72 inch pounds, then back off 1 1/2 turns. I am going to try this as well as put in a Dacron hi flow filter, and new fluid. Any one ever had this problem? Maybe an inproved shift valve body would help. But I would like to retain the trans passing gear kick down feature. Any other ideas on how to solve this problem? I ran a best of 12.91 E T @ 108 wed nite after it cooled a little, although it still shifted 2-3 kinda slow. Thanks

When I drive my 69 RR to the track, after a few runs it wont shift 2nd to 3rd after it gets hot. I have 2 trans oil coolers on it. If I tow it out, it works fine. Meep Meep said to adjust the kickdown band. I have read to tighten it to 72 inch pounds, then back off 1 1/2 turns. I am going to try this as well as put in a Dacron hi flow filter, and new fluid. Any one ever had this problem? Maybe an inproved shift valve body would help. But I would like to retain the trans passing gear kick down feature. Any other ideas on how to solve this problem? I ran a best of 12.91 E T @ 108 wed nite after it cooled a little, although it still shifted 2-3 kinda slow. Thanks

3rd gear is not controlled by the band. During the 2/3 shift the kickdown band releases and the forward/reverse clutch is applied. Does it slip or just not shift at all? Manual shift or In drive? will it shift into 3rd just driving normally? Does reverse work properly?
Doug

I thought the kick down band releases, and the high clutch is applied to shift from 2nd to 3rd. It just wont shift 2 to 3 when it gets hot. I shift it manually. It will shift into 3 rd when driving normally, unless its too hot. Pulled the valve body today, gonna put a shift kit in it. Its a TF-2 KIT. tHE FLUID SMELLED A LITTLE BURNT. Will of course use new Dexron fluid. And a hi flow dacron filter.

I think some different years of torqueflites had different band adjustments. Yours might not have been set correctly. The front drum band adjustment is 1 1/2 turns out on some years and 2 1/4 turns out on others. I have a chrysler service manual from the 70 that gave different specs. Could have been a spec of dirt caught up in your valve body too causing a stuck valve.

How many passes are on the trans and when was the last time you adjusted it? Is it all stock? Best place for adjustment specs is the manual for the year of the trans you're working with but off the top of my head, 1 1/2 turns out sounds a bit tight but I may be wrong. Also, count the turns in until it snugs up. That will give you an idea how loose it is which is usually an indication how much wear it has. Same goes for the L/R band. I just did my truck's L/R band and it turned in 4 turns but with 140k miles on it so that was expected. Book on it says to back it off 3 turns but I went with 2 1/2.

I thought the kick down band releases, and the high clutch is applied to shift from 2nd to 3rd. It just wont shift 2 to 3 when it gets hot. I shift it manually. It will shift into 3 rd when driving normally, unless its too hot. Pulled the valve body today, gonna put a shift kit in it. Its a TF-2 KIT. tHE FLUID SMELLED A LITTLE BURNT. Will of course use new Dexron fluid. And a hi flow dacron filter.
i put a TF2 in one of my torqueflites and had some serious upshift problems, like no up shift at all. i cured the problem by backing off the kickdown adjuster at the carb. i think the heavy spring at the valve body for the throttle pressure is the culprit.

Thanks every one. Well I got the shift kit put in the valve body. Will install it tomorrow, and see how it works. And yes, lewtot, it had a much stronger spring for the valve body than was originally installed. Also had to back off the adjuster till flush with the retainer as per instructions. So if it wont shift, then I will sdjust the kick down linkage.

- - - Updated - - -

This is a Trans Go TF 2 kit

Auto Transport Service
Back