• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

727 tailshaft leak help

Willy The Kid

Local time
2:08 PM
Reaction score
So this 727 was rebuilt and once it was filled with fluid it began a very slow leak at where the tail shaft meets the rest of the transmission case. I pulled the tail shaft in car and replaced the seal and it still leaks. Is this common and what should be my next move. I am always super quick at pulling motors/trans in situations like this and i was hoping someone could give me solid advice. Is this common? Any responses are greatly appreciated in advance. And no its not warrantied.

Might be the low/reverse servo apply arm shaft that has the o-ring.

The easy fix if it is the reverse apply shaft that goes through the case, is to clean it good with brakekleen and fill the outside with RTV. Might work.

I've fixed the low band pin with RTV in the car. Press the shaft all the forward. Clean well and blow dry with brake clean.Apply RTV and smooth with a thin putty knife. Or pull the tail shaft housing, pan,valve body. loosen the rar band adjuster. Then remove the band anchor pin. Clean the shaft and bore. Replace the shaft O-ring and reasemble.
Doug

Auto Transport Service
Back