• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

727 Torqueflite transmission cooling 383 71 charger

velrob

Local time
7:38 AM
Reaction score
Ive been searching on transmission cooling and theres tons of different opinions.

I am in the process of running transmission cooler lines and not sure if I should bother with a tranny cooler or use the rad alone? I am using a new aluminum rad with the built in transmission cooler.

I will not be racing the car, I may burn the tires once in awhile but besides that it will be a cruiser. I'll be installing a temp gauge on the oil line to see what temps it runs at.

But I cant figure out if I should use a cooler or the rad alone. Some say plumb the cooler via the rad some say dont just in case the rad cooler fails and mixes with the tranmission oil.

If a transmission cooler is a good idea, would it be smarter to isolate the transmission cooler with its own fan bypassing the rad?

Thanks!

In general, put the transmission cooler at the outlet of the radiator's transmission cooler. If the trans cooler is large enough, a stand-alone unit with its own fan works even better. I'm not sure how big is big enough

so you recommend a transmission cooler outside the radiator with a fan?

For your stated usage I wouldn’t put an exterior cooler on it. Just use the rad cooler.

Alright ill try that first. If things get hot I will install a cooler.

thats the route I was going to take but wasn't sure.

If you run atf4 especially no need for an external cooler.

Just remember that all of your transmission heat you're trying to remove , goes straight into the cooled coolant on its way back into the engine.
A standalone cooler will isolate the trans heat away from the engine.
And we all know we've seen way to many " engine hot" threads....

use a trans temp gage if you see 200 or more than yes an outside cooler as said hear from the trans to the rad then the cooler then back to the trans.

Why reinvent the wheel. These cars in normal duty let alone abuse have run the factory style radiator with transmission cooler forever with little to no issues. KISS applies
to the posters application.

Radiator should be enough for a stock tranny, but if you're running a high stall converter a separate trans cooler is cheap insurance.
My Coronet has a Dynamics 3000 stall converter with a TransGo shift kit. I installed a small (8" x 11" approx) Derale cooler in series with the radiator. B&M also makes a nice deep sump pan with cooling fins and a fitting for a trans temp sensor. With both installed my trans stays below 200°.

I'm using a 2800 stall. It has a comps cam xe268h cam. Edelbrock intake. it came with a holley 4160 750cm carb that I cleaned up and going to attempt to reuse. It's been bored 60 over. I've also installed the transgo shift kit. That's about it. Is that still good going through the rad?

I'm using a 2800 stall. It has a comps cam xe268h cam. Edelbrock intake. it came with a holley 4160 750cm carb that I cleaned up and going to attempt to reuse. It's been bored 60 over. I've also installed the transgo shift kit. That's about it. Is that still good going through the rad?
Yes.

tell you what put a trans temp gage and see what temp you are getting then you deside.

transmission-temperature-chart.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back