• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

727 tranny de code..help

penstar4ever

Local time
5:13 PM
Reaction score
I new help decoding this tranny. 2892093L2868 5368 Thanks all. Not sure where to find info on decoding.

it also is a 383 HP transmision, and the 440 six bbl
The 6bbl and hemi automatics were a step above the hd 727's that came in cars with a 440 mag. The front drum is wider, capable of holding 6 thin frictions, and a wider solid kickdown band, in addition to both 4 pinion planetaries and at least a 4.2 apply arm, possibly 5.0

Here is the page from the transmission bible. It should end all doubt that this is a 440 hp trans only.

IMG_20201230_214518.jpg

It's not right for my car. So if you know someone who needs one it's for sale. Worked fine when pulled but reverse band broke.

Here is the page from the transmission bible. It should end all doubt that this is a 440 hp trans only.

View attachment 1047880

monaco66 is correct.

There is significant and numerous documentation including the parts book, broadcast sheets and Lynch Road fender tags showing the 093 automatic transmission behind the 383-4 HP in B bodies.

It's not right for my car. So if you know someone who needs one it's for sale. Worked fine when pulled but reverse band broke.
Great find and if you were closer, I'd take it off your hands.
The build date is June 4, 1969 for that "2093" and that particular one was the 5,368th built. That's just outside the dates for six pack cars but there's likely a VIN on the opposite side of the case to hone in on what it came out of. These were in B and C bodies powered by 440's.

monaco66 is correct.

There is significant and numerous documentation including the parts book, broadcast sheets and Lynch Road fender tags showing the 093 automatic transmission behind the 383-4 HP in B bodies.
That could well be. The holy grail just list it's designed use. We all know it can be bolted behind the BB/RB.

That could well be. The holy grail just list it's designed use. We all know it can be bolted behind the BB/RB.

Other documents and applications show the list posted is incomplete or in error ergo it's a nice guideline but not difinitive.

Other documents and applications show the list posted is incomplete or in error ergo it's a nice guideline but not difinitive.
So Chrysler's tech manual is not complete or in error. If so who's source is correct? Don't tell me a non Chrysler source is more accurate than Chrysler it's self.
I know the dealership could order just about anything.

So Chrysler's tech manual is not complete or in error. If so who's source is correct? Don't tell me a non Chrysler source is more accurate than Chrysler it's self.
I know the dealership could order just about anything.

Other Chrysler documentation (parts manual, broadcast sheets, fender tags, and, If I felt like digging even more, probably documents like Technical Service Bulletins) as well as real world examples, is in agreement the 093 came behind the 335 horse B body assembly.

This example shows that using a single source document has its perils. Finding multiple sources that agree is usually the best course.

Trust but verify.

I know the dealership could order just about anything- Dealerships could order a lot of things but not any and all things. Factories could not and would not build combinations that were illegal (i.e. violate emissions or safety guidelines) or the maker would not warranty because something fell outside of engineering guidelines (3.91 gears in an 8.75 case behind a 440 or Hemi), or not worth the time and effort to build based on low sales projections (C body Hemi station wagons....).

This response tends to be used when credible research hasn't been done or people, not saying you, just don't want to take the time to do the research. Most of the time, what is being discussed was certainly available but the actual production was so small that people don't know the combination was available.

Other Chrysler documentation (parts manual, broadcast sheets, fender tags, and, If I felt like digging even more, probably documents like Technical Service Bulletins) as well as real world examples, is in agreement the 093 came behind the 335 horse B body assembly.

This example shows that using a single source document has its perils. Finding multiple sources that agree is usually the best course.

Trust but verify.

I know the dealership could order just about anything- Dealerships could order a lot of things but not any and all things. Factories could not and would not build combinations that were illegal (i.e. violate emissions or safety guidelines) or the maker would not warranty because something fell outside of engineering guidelines (3.91 gears in an 8.75 case behind a 440 or Hemi), or not worth the time and effort to build based on low sales projections (C body Hemi station wagons....).

This response tends to be used when credible research hasn't been done or people, not saying you, just don't want to take the time to do the research. Most of the time, what is being discussed was certainly available but the actual production was so small that people don't know the combination was available.

Love it! Just when you think you know something!
Had a buddy that collected 093's for decades only to find out he was off by one digit.......what he thought and what he shoulda been collecting was 094. Yes, he is a HEMI guy too

Auto Transport Service
Back