• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

727 Transmission question

MTBRider

Local time
2:22 AM
Reaction score
Hi all, I’m working on a project for a friend and I have a problem with the trans. It’s a ‘73 or ‘74 727 that was put into a ‘69 AMC Javelin with a 401. I hooked up the floor shift linkage and park, reverse and neutral all work fine but the first spot after neutral seems to be 1st gear, the next is 2nd and then 3rd (not sure yet if it’s “drive “ but seems like strictly 3rd). I’ve only took it up and down my street a couple times and haven’t been able to get it up to anything over 25 mph.
I have no idea if this is “normal “ for this trans or if maybe someone modified it? I know this isn’t a b body but I know some of you know these trans really well.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Ya, reverse manual valve body. Drag race or I use mine on the street. With 500", 4.10 gear starting in 2 is no problem.

You have kick linkage(throttle pressure control linkage) hooked up? Agree sounds like reverse manual VB.

You have kick linkage(throttle pressure control linkage) hooked up? Agree sounds like reverse manual VB.
There is a Lokar kick down linkage hooked up but might need adjustment.
Is it difficult/costly to modify back to stock?

There is a Lokar kick down linkage hooked up but might need adjustment.
Is it difficult/costly to modify back to stock?
Locar works guys have said. Not adjusted right trans slips. Get the right parts could be difficult for your combo?

Locar works guys have said. Not adjusted right trans slips. Get the right parts could be difficult for your combo?
At least I’m here in Kenosha so there are some AMC parts/guys around. Just might take some time/effort.

A lot of manual reverse valve bodies do not use the kick down. It might be there just to seal it up as it has no internal function. Pull the pan and see whats there. Lots of them will have identity information etched or tagged to help tell you what you have.

I've never seen a RMVB that used a throttle pressure linkage. I personally don't like auto shift and so I put manual valve bodies in everything. If you want auto function , just swap for a stock valve body. Pretty easy. Worst part is just dealing with the park pawl. You could probably make some decent money from selling your RMVB as new ones are getting pretty pricey.

My forward manual valve body has no provision for a kick down/throttle pressure linkage.

Found a guy with a standard valve body that he was getting ready to send it out to be converted to reverse manual so I just swapped it. Saved me a bunch of time and saved him time and money also, good trade in my eyes.

Sometimes when a manual shift valve body is put in, the governor assembly is removed because it is no longer needed. Then, if a regular v.b. is installed without checking, the trans will not shift. It is a matter of pulling the tail shaft housing and having a look.

Sometimes when a manual shift valve body is put in, the governor assembly is removed because it is no longer needed. Then, if a regular v.b. is installed without checking, the trans will not shift. It is a matter of pulling the tail shaft housing and having a look.
Or they put a plug in the case. Kim

Hopefully it gets nice enough here to have a test drive later this week.

MTRider, be aware 727's are sometimes very sensitive to parts combinations and not all OEM valve bodies are the same. Just say'in.
Edit: The adjustment of the kickdown linkage is critical with a standard VB.

So, I’ve been away for a bit working to get this figured out. Got it installed and it wouldn’t shift. Spoke to Steve at SDR (good local trans shop) and he figured trans was probably modified. Pulled it out and took it to him which turned out to be a great thing since it was pretty burnt up. Complete rebuild, new converter and all is well. Shifts great, no leaks!

Auto Transport Service
Back