• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

727 Transmission Question

Red Cricket

Local time
11:31 PM
Reaction score
G day all. I have a 65 coronet with original transmission. The shop told me my park cable is not moving....there fore when hooked up , colum shifter wont move. They said the gears were shifting but park cable wont move. Does this sound like a common problem? ANY help would assist greatly!! Tks for your advise.

Not common, very possible as it’s now 57 years old.
Sounds like you need a new cable.

Do you have reason to think they are misleading you?

The cable may be seized inside its sheath. Get yourself a shop manual that tells you how to take the park cable assembly off the rear tail stock. Get a drain pan because fluid will come out here. To remove just the cable, remove screw in plug from this small park housing. There is a cable lock pin on the side of the housing. Loosen the nut on the end of this pin, and drive the pin in with a small hammer. Then reach up in the plug hole with a small screw driver to release lock spring. While holding this spring in unlocked position, pull the cable out. You can then try soaking the cable assembly in penetrant in an attempt to free it up. Joe Suchy or Imperial Motors may be able to supply another cable, if yours is beyond repair. The 1965 Park cable is a one year only piece because of column shift.

I dont think that are misleading me...I think lack of knowledge on their part

Disconnect the cable at both ends and see if it move freely. If it's stuck I think I have one.
Doug

Shop told me it was locked up and would not move. Myself..I never had a setup like this. I should add...the car has not ran since 1990. Seller says engine has about 20-25000 on a rebuild 318 poly. New tank, fuel lines, fuel pump, carb ,Hei ignition kit and engine runs Great. He parked it because trans went out. He had a good trans to go with it. Thats what the shop was installing when this came up. Tks for your help!

IMG_0576.JPG

If it is like mine was, it has not been lubed since 1964/5. I recommend pulling the column and cleaning and lubing everything. Be very careful with the rubber boot! A FSM will help. Look in the transmission section.
Mike
IMG_1952.JPG

I can't move after trying to sleep for eight hours lol, imagine sitting still since 1990.

Auto Transport Service
Back