• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1965 Torque-flite transmission - Decisions?

Ron H

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:51 AM
Reaction score
Tossing out a question as I’m cleaning and rearranging my garage. I bought a ’65 mopar 727 transmission in ’96 with some other parts for my ’63, I installed from a ’65 Coronet (entire rear). Was informed this trans would be nice to have as a spare or upgrade of the ’63 torqueflite. This was the last year of a cable shift setup when mopar ended the button shift, though the column/floor lever still used the cable for this one year as recollecting.

Memory is foggy, but glad to say the ’63 trans is running fine and not sure if I should keep the ’65 laying at this stage anymore. Don’t know the condition of the trans; informed was fine back when, but after 27 years of sitting under a shelf, rebuild is likely a no brainer.

Asking for any thoughts desirability, keep it, sell it?

Thanks!

The advantage of the 65 trans is the slip yoke style tail shaft. Other than that there is little difference. The valve bodies are slightly different. You can swap the entire 64 valve body into the 65 to retain teh push button shift. Or swap just the manual valve and rooster conb. Neutral safety switches are different as well.
Doug

Sell it.
If it's been there unused for 27 years it's likely that it will sit unused for another 27 years.

Saying that, the week you sell it is the week when your current transmission will probably blow up.

Auto Transport Service
Back