• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

727 transmission

tom jaffeux

Local time
4:54 PM
Reaction score
Looks like I will be doing my 1st transmission rebuild question I have what complete rebuild kit to get lots out there a&a,crt,trans online,opt any suggestions will be helpful.I know there is lot of videos on YouTube but I will be working from this book seems pretty straightforward
Thanks Tom

image.jpg

Purchase a Master kit. Check Rock Auto. Buy the filter separate as well as a pump bushing. You may need a few thrust washers but, you won't know which until you open the trans.
Mike

Make inquiries where the kit/components are made.
Avoid Chinese junk! Go for USA made.
These trannys are easy to rebuild and the most important part is to organize and document as you disassemble. When I did my 727 I laid everything out on a 4’ x 8’ plywood table.
One thing to not skip is the torque converter:drain it! Inspect the fluid for foreign particles and if you find any flush it out good. Refill it prior to reinstalling the transmission, very important!

Any guidance on flush a torque converter I have been told that it is very hard to do that

Any guidance on flush a torque converter I have been told that it is very hard to do that
It’s a little tedious but not hard. There is a drain plug on the front albeit small. Drain, fill with solvent, slosh it around good, drain. Repeat until it’s clean. You can also apply some air pressure to the pump side to blow the remaining solvent out on the last pass with the drain plug hole open and at the bottom or 6oclock position.

Not all factory torque converters had a drain. I have carefully drilled and tapped some for a small NPT plug. Use grease on the end of drill bit and tap to collect most of the steel chips. I have bought a lot of rebuild kits from A&A Transmissions near Indianapolis over the years. Good guys and quality parts. Make sure to change pump and front drum bushings. Tailshaft bushing rarely needs to be changed (+ it is a brute).

If this is your first 727 rebuild, go on YouTube and look up Precision transmission. He does a
nice video on taking apart a 727. Don't get cought up in all of the upgrades he talks about,
just watch and learn. Easy-Peasy!

Tom, Any idea how you plan to rebuild it? Stock or better than stock?
Tom Hand

Been looking at this kit from transmission warehouse what do you think​

028903HP_DLX - TF8 (A727 36RH, 37RH) CHRYSLER RED EAGLE KOLENE TRANSMISSION REBUILD KIT 1971-ON​

Forget to say I have a mild 440 it’s a street car will never see the track

Tom, that is a pretty darn complete kit! I'd only add the booted rear seal (far right on the extension housing row) and HD Shift shaft seal if it were mine. Not sure that company sells either but it'd be worth asking.
Tom Hand

New poster ppt 11-17.png

Looks like I will be doing my 1st transmission rebuild question I have what complete rebuild kit to get lots out there a&a,crt,trans online,opt any suggestions will be helpful.I know there is lot of videos on YouTube but I will be working from this book seems pretty straightforward
Thanks Tom

View attachment 1333147
I also just rebuilt my first trans(727)...and it worked (!) when re-attached to the 440.

The Chrysler engineers did a great job when designing the Torqueflite.

I upgraded mine a little with Alto Red Eagle clutches, Cope auto valve-body and billet rear servo. In hindsight maybe I should have installed bolt-in sprag. Have one more 727 that i'm going to rebuild...

Auto Transport Service
Back