• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

727 wont shift into park.

Snowbug778

Local time
4:33 PM
Reaction score
Howdy yall, so I got into my 71 charger with a column shift 727 auto, and started her up. she started fine so I threw it in drive and went a couple feet and stalled, i restarted the car and and it started driving. I got half way up the block and realized i forgot something and turned around to go back to my house. i pulled next to the sidewalk and put her in park and she wouldn't stay, she kept rolling down the hill. I tried shifting through the gears and back into park and still wouldnt park, it said it was in park but kept rolling. finally I shifted into drive and slammer the shifter into park and finally it stopped and stayed. any ideas on what the issue could be and a fix?

It sounds like the Rooster Comb and the linkage are not set up quite right. If you have a FSM/Factory Service Manual, it will guide you through getting it set up correctly...cr8crshr/Bill:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::usflag::usflag::usflag:

It sounds like the Rooster Comb and the linkage are not set up quite right. If you have a FSM/Factory Service Manual, it will guide you through getting it set up correctly...cr8crshr/Bill:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::usflag::usflag::usflag:
thank you will check later this afternoon!

Definitely shift linkage, often happens with the column shift linkage as there are several areas that could be out of alignment like the plastic bushings. These are repopped if you need replacement.

On my 68 , under the car there is a rod that comes off the shifter and connects to the gear selection leaver on the transmission. Its sort of a slip joint? Held in place with a large set screw. My guess is that it slipped a bit, throwing it out of wack, I had the exact same thing happen.

On my 68 , under the car there is a rod that comes off the shifter and connects to the gear selection leaver on the transmission. Its sort of a slip joint? Held in place with a large set screw. My guess is that it slipped a bit, throwing it out of wack, I had the exact same thing happen.
so we tried to slip it back and it would not move, we took out the bolt and even then it wouldnt move ill spray it later with pb blaster or something and see if that can get it free

Auto Transport Service
Back