• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

73 charger beginning

sdyer233

Local time
8:14 AM
Reaction score
Well since the winter has rolled around I decided to garage the charger and start picking it apart. I started by pulling the interior, mainly because I find it easiest. In about a week or so i will be pulling the engine and all the inners. My plan is to do a resmod and do a prostreet look with really bombproof parts. So after getting the body all worked out and what little rust the car has removed, and painted i'll move to front and rear end, engine (crate 340) and save the interior for last. Debating an XV front and rear end because of how strong they are, comfortable new black interior as well as some new rally gages. Also planning on stripping, priming and putting down sound deadener within the next two weeks. Almost no rust to fix, so that will defiantly speed things up. I really hope my resmod idea doesn't get shot down but hey, its my car and i'm going to make this thing sweet. more pics and updates to come!

IMG_2189.jpg
IMG_2190.jpg
IMG_2191.jpg

Great project we been rebuilding a 73 ourselves i have been replacing sheetmetal for 18 months finally doing bodywork,have fun doing it, a restomod is a cool idea. We know a guy who did a 71/74 roadrunner restomod 6.1 hemi,6 speed trans,SRT8 seats and interior items. Check out our link to view our basket case.

I am disabled to the point that i do my car from a chair with wheels to a walker .My 73 Charger is my therapy and my wife has told me that i do not have to sell this car but she wants me to finish it .With the help of friends on amd off of the forum it has given me lots of insite of what to do with the car .it is a factory numbers match 340 /727 8 3/4 car with a/c .It has the FE5 with white interior and the rainbow stripes as I call them and i will be putting them back on the car .The car is my life i love the car the lines of it drive me crazy .the interior is all freshened up ,the whole under carriage just came off of a three year rotissiere resto to the under carriage .it was painted in the factory colour and it was not a under coated car which i thought was sweet .Do'n t ever give up .I have a 1971 340 block with steel crank that has been heat treated block is 27 thousands over and it just needs to go to a new home that will use it .I even have a 2005 5.7 hemi that i wanted to build a 55 dodge truck and make it a little antique express truck for my wife she just wants to cruise with me ....so the engines are for sale ....I am up for trade offers but only parts pertaining to my 73 charger....I can't wait until my car is completed so i can put pics of my car on the forum so you can get other members young and old some insite of what can be done if you are healthy or nOT ALWAYS FOLLOW YOUR DREAMS AND NEVER GET RID OF YOUR RIDE ...i HAVE BEEN DISABLED FOR 7 YEARS ......i AM NOT ABOUT TO GIVE UP YET ON MY PRIDE AND JOY ....

:hatwave: red thanks for sharing ,good luck with your project and keep us updated with your project and good luck :beerchug:

I am disabled to the point that i do my car from a chair with wheels to a walker .My 73 Charger is my therapy and my wife has told me that i do not have to sell this car but she wants me to finish it .With the help of friends on amd off of the forum it has given me lots of insite of what to do with the car .it is a factory numbers match 340 /727 8 3/4 car with a/c .It has the FE5 with white interior and the rainbow stripes as I call them and i will be putting them back on the car .The car is my life i love the car the lines of it drive me crazy .the interior is all freshened up ,the whole under carriage just came off of a three year rotissiere resto to the under carriage .it was painted in the factory colour and it was not a under coated car which i thought was sweet .Do'n t ever give up .I have a 1971 340 block with steel crank that has been heat treated block is 27 thousands over and it just needs to go to a new home that will use it .I even have a 2005 5.7 hemi that i wanted to build a 55 dodge truck and make it a little antique express truck for my wife she just wants to cruise with me ....so the engines are for sale ....I am up for trade offers but only parts pertaining to my 73 charger....I can't wait until my car is completed so i can put pics of my car on the forum so you can get other members young and old some insite of what can be done if you are healthy or nOT ALWAYS FOLLOW YOUR DREAMS AND NEVER GET RID OF YOUR RIDE ...i HAVE BEEN DISABLED FOR 7 YEARS ......i AM NOT ABOUT TO GIVE UP YET ON MY PRIDE AND JOY ....

Thank you for your story and it is encouraging I have been disabled 14 years and in a power wheelchair for the last 7 years. I am starting my own project for the first time in my life. I am still gathering parts and hopefully I can start soon.

red, what kind of parts do you need for your charger? I have some stuff laying around off a 74 charger. Maybe I got something you need. PM me.

I have a cou[le of visors in white. Very small indent where it hit the roof. some pitting on the chome bur in really nice condition for year model. Will send pic's if requested. Thanx,cmytrux.

Well since the winter has rolled around I decided to garage the charger and start picking it apart. I started by pulling the interior, mainly because I find it easiest. In about a week or so i will be pulling the engine and all the inners. My plan is to do a resmod and do a prostreet look with really bombproof parts. So after getting the body all worked out and what little rust the car has removed, and painted i'll move to front and rear end, engine (crate 340) and save the interior for last. Debating an XV front and rear end because of how strong they are, comfortable new black interior as well as some new rally gages. Also planning on stripping, priming and putting down sound deadener within the next two weeks. Almost no rust to fix, so that will defiantly speed things up. I really hope my resmod idea doesn't get shot down but hey, its my car and i'm going to make this thing sweet. more pics and updates to come!

Sounds like a great deal to me, and im sure it will be as sweet as you make it sound, Looking forward to your pictures when you post them!!
Ive seen a couple of the projects that are mentioned here and these Chargers truly are great looking machines and i love the body lines on them myself, i wish all you guys the best as you turn them into "your car"! The only time a dream turns into a fantasy is if we give up, And that isint going to happen to a Mopar enthusiast.

New parts are in the mail and awaiting arrival friday. Also spraying primer down on the floors tomorrow as well as putting in new seam sealer. Insulation comes after that!

primers down, seam sealer is going on tomorrow, tons of parts coming in the mail. pretty excited, now all i need is spring! pics soon to come

today was good, got the headliner off, the roof is in good condition and going to get primed. more parts on the way, did not get the seam sealer on, but will do tomorrow. decided on putting in some 2012 challenger seats, for a bit more comfort and will recover the originals if i ever show her. found about 40 years worth of mice crap in the headliner, and am really just awaiting the hushmat delivery.

Also got a new work light today, and it is absolutly amazing. lights my whole shop.

so far i have kick panels, carpet, and new brakes on her. will be doing the whole front end soon.
also a bit of misc trim such as XV lock knobs which are milled from billet aluminum, verry cool little pieces and made in the good old USA!!!

- - - Updated - - -

i have a pile of tan parts if anyone wants anything let me know! IMG_2562.jpgIMG_2557.jpgIMG_2555.jpgIMG_2556.jpgIMG_2558.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

IMG_2561.jpgIMG_2559.jpgIMG_2553.jpgIMG_2504.jpgIMG_2552.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

oh yes, primed with duplicolor etching primer

seam sealeris on, got a bunch of new stuff today, headliner and all sorts of insulation, just waiting on the hushmat now

all electrical components are out. dash is out and ready for paint. received my carpet padding in the mail early today. should be a big week of work. Not sure if I want to get a new wiring harness or not, the one i have now does not seem to be in that bad of shape. but im no electrical expert either. none of the wires are brittle and exposed so i very possibly will just leave it.

Sounds like you're getting everything to help move your project right along.

new update hushmat has arrived and installation has begun. also tons of other goodies, rear panels trunk liner mopar valve overs and some other little stuff IMG_2582.jpgIMG_2598.jpgIMG_2596.jpgIMG_2597.jpgIMG_2188.jpg the pile of parts is getting to be a mountain. so excited. my plan is to install the hush mat, paint the dash install the full Alpine audio sound system re wire the power windows and then begin installing the interior again such as the carpet and panels. then it will go to the shop to have my new(used) 8 3/4 rear end put in that i got for free...yes i said FREE! and the front end from XV motorsports will also go in, then to the body shop!

- - - Updated - - -

also, does anyone know that that tag is for? found it loose on the floor, i would assume the P/W stands for power windows...

painted the dash today, started by scuffing it with a scotch brite, then hitting it with two coats of a semi gloss rust oleum paint followed by a very fine finishing scuff pad and a semi gloss clear

- - - Updated - - -

also, have decided to clone a 71 r/t. love everything about the 71's so ill try to get it as close as i can

Auto Transport Service
Back