• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

73 Charger Dash Pad Access Help!

garyinmich

Local time
5:02 PM
Reaction score
Help please! I am in the process of replacing the dash pad in my 73 Charger SE and need some help regarding removal of "Center Air Conditioning and Upper Level Ventilation Duct". The manual says: Remove Ventilation Duct attaching screw (found it) and two duct to air mounting clips. I can only find one clip (right side of duct above glove box opening). Where is the other clip? Any help appreciated!

They are commonly missing. They just slip on so you can just pull the duct straight out. You doing this with the dash in or out?

They are commonly missing. They just slip on so you can just pull the duct straight out. You doing this with the dash in or out?
The dash is still in the car. I have the screw out, the one clip detached but feels like something is still holding it in place.

Is the AC box out? If not that is holding it in. No way to get it out if it's installed.

Pulling the AC box with the dash in is a nightmare. as well as changing the pad on a AC car. If you drop the steering column, pull the two column studs, then loosing the two lower side bolts on the dash. remove the top plate, then remove the 4 bolts holding the upper dash to the cowl it will tilt forward allowing more access to do this. Are the gauges still installed? this will also hinder getting at the dash pad nuts. There is also a duct that runs over the gauges to the left vent that will need to be removed to access the dash pad nuts.

I always pull my dashes completely out to do this.

The Cluster is still in but loose, I was going to take it out, but your method may be the best approach. Do I still need to remove the guage cluster? How does the duct on the left come out?

Remove the defrost duct,then the harness cradle, both have screws accessible from the top then you should be able to pull it out. I added a pic. It's kinda buried in there.

IMG_0263.JPG
IMG_0265.JPG

Thanks for all your help! Can I tilt it out then disconnect speedo cable and wires?

Auto Transport Service
Back